Turn your targeting computers back on — Star Wars isn’t done just yet.

Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that it acquired Lucasfilm from producer George Lucas, the man behind Star Wars, for $4.05 billion. Along with purchasing the production company, Disney also stated that it would continue the Star Wars series with an additional trilogy starting with the expected 2015 release of “Star Wars: Episode VII.” The new set of sequels is supposed to take place decades after “Return of the Jedi.”

These aren’t the movies we were looking for.

Movie buffs collectively ranted once the news spread on social media. The Star Wars prequels were already hated badly enough, and this is the last thing loyal fans want to see.

Not to mention when, in an effort to make even more money off the series, the production team rereleased and butchered “Episode I: The Phantom Menace” in 3D earlier this year.

Even after all of the groans and whines about the new trilogy, there are many curious Star Wars fans that plan to reluctantly watch the new movies to see the direction Disney will take Episode VII.

Disney could either continue the adventures of Luke Skywalker and friends, or they could introduce new characters. There are many stories from videogames and novels from the Star Wars Expanded Universe that the producers can use.

Some fans are unsure because Lucas will not be involved in the creative process, while others are optimistic that the new set of movies could lead to an even better storyline.

Star Wars has hit public approval highs and lows. With the prequels and the 3D rerelease being horrendous to the pristine Star Wars reputation, it is unnecessary to continue the saga and taint the magic behind the original episodes — IV, V and VI.

This trend of rebooting or remaking classic films has been seen too often in Hollywood. Classics like Tron, Star Trek and many superhero movies have had different directors and new casts. This begs the question: Is Hollywood fresh out of ideas for movies?

If so, Star Wars is an easy way to make money without straining to come up with an original film idea.

It could possibly be that because these movies have been such gigantic hits, moviemakers are trying to recreate the franchise’s success to appeal to a new generation.

It’s an easy way out. The story isn’t anything new, but producers know that they’ll still make a big profit.

Whether the new Star Wars trilogy flops or prospers in the box office, we still got a bad feeling about this.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×