A tribute to athletic great Herschel Walker

After hearing former Heisman winner Herschel Walker speak at an Art of Recovery Expo held in the Phoenix Convention Center two Saturdays ago, my interest in him exponentially grew.

I am now going to make the claim that he is the best NCAA college football player ever. And also, from the words of a great Dallas sports fan, I know that he is “one of the top three physical specimens ever.”

For my college football player claim, he placed third in Heisman voting his freshmen year. He placed second in voting his sophomore year, and finally won it in his junior and final year at Georgia.

He is in the top 10 of all-time rushing yards; but is the only one out of the 10 to only play three years.

In regards to the physical specimen claim, he played five different offensive positions — tailback, fullback, flanker, slot receiver and tight end.

He played professional football for 14 years. While playing for the Minnesota Vikings, he made it onto the United States bobsled team for the 1992 Olympics.

At ages 47 and 48 he started to settle down.

In the January’s of 2010 and 2011 he was signed with Strikeforce, an MMA promoter, and fought two fights, winning both by knockout.

He is now 50.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×