Bravo to the weather becoming somewhat bearable again. Now that Arizona is no longer plagued by triple-digit heat, everyone feels like they have an excuse to wear cardigans and hoodies. Scarves, hats and boots that would previously seem impractical are now acceptable, even though it's still 90 degrees outside.

Boo to Mill Avenue's caustic, make-it-or-break-it atmosphere. The street's many bar and grill restaurants either develop an immediate following – a la World of Beer – or go out of business like the perpetually changing corner building on Mill and University Drive or, most recently, Blondies Sport Bar and Grill. Restaurants, like people, need time to develop, and Mill Avenue patrons don't allow this. Cut the bars a break!

Bravo to the midterm “dress down” memo. ASU is famous for its beautiful and well-dressed student body. Each day is a beauty contest for girls who are thirsty for the attention from the sea of bro-tanks in lecture halls. It has been a breath of fresh air seeing people dressed down for midterms these past two weeks. We like to see your sweat pants, ASU.

Boo to Food and Drug Administration‘s recent peanut butter recall. Sunland Inc., a manufacturer of peanuts, has recalled more than 70 varieties of peanuts. The J.M. Smucker Co. that produces Uncrustable sandwiches is also concerned because it may have used some peanut butter from a New Mexico plant that was recalled for “potential salmonella contamination,” The Washington Post reported. Hold off on the PB&J this week, Sun Devils.

Bravo to Austrian Felix Baumgartner for his daredevil free-fall jump from 24 miles up at the edge of space and breaking the sound barrier at 833 mph on Oct. 14. After training for years, Baumgartner finally accomplished his main goal to break the records for highest free-fall, first human being to break the sound barrier, and altitude record for manned balloon flight. The 43-year-old Baumgartner at one point spun out of control, yet maintained his composure and balanced himself out before landing 4 minutes and 20 seconds after jumping, all while the world watched live from cameras mounted from the take-off to when he reached earth.

×