Fans must catch The Hives in Tempe

Photo courtesy of The Hives.
Photo courtesy of The Hives.

Photo courtesy of The Hives.

Be prepared, for it is coming. On Tuesday, The Hives return to the Marquee Theatre in Tempe.

For those who know, ignoring the mundane responsibilities that come in the middle of every week is easy to do when The Hives are in town. To those who don’t know, let this serve as not only a declaration, but also an open invitation to be blown away.

Hailing from the faraway land known commonly as Sweden, The Hives have been an enigma wrapped up in a riddle to most American listeners since their first release, “Barely Legal,” back in 1997.

Since that time, The Hives have gone on to put together four other masterfully crafted albums of pulse-pounding rock. Each an adaptation of the previous, The Hives manage to give listeners what they’ve come to expect, while also giving more than anyone could have ever possibly imagined.

There is nothing and no one quite like The Hives. The band will convey just that in just one single song. The group takes great pride in introducing itself as anyone’s new favorite band, and after any live performance, it would be nearly impossible not to believe them.

Last time the band played in Tempe, back in 2008, the Marquee Theatre nearly launched into the stratosphere. Metaphorical speeches aside, The Hives are not here to waste anyone’s time.

The band plays for the same reasons their fans want to see them perform: to see and hear The Hives. Who wouldn’t want to experience a rock band completely sold on its own greatness, particularly when it just so happens to be right? No one, that’s who.

In a time void of actual gut-ripping rock jams designed to get even the most passive individual on their feet and moving to the beat laid down by drummer Chris Dangerous and bass player Dr. Matt Destruction, The Hives knows no equal.

With its most recent release “Lex Hives,” The Hives proved that it hasn’t missed a step in the decade-plus that it’s been blasting its way across the globe.

One has to hope that the set Tuesday night opens with the first track from “Lex Hives.” As lead-singer Howlin’ Pelle Almqvist screams, “Come On,” a near countless amount of times, only a fool wouldn’t adhere to the demand being made.

For those who are more interested in guitar playing, Nicholaus Arson and Vigilante Carlstroem are the men for them. Together, they create the single greatest tandem in all of rock. The band as a whole operates on a level rarely seen, if ever by any one or group before them.

One might argue that the likes of The Hives will never be seen, or heard from again. This only goes to prove that for those even remotely in the area need to make plans to attend.

Fans that find themselves in the dim lights of the Marquee Tuesday night, listen for “Here We Go Again,” “Antidote” and “Main Offender.”

Life is meant for living with as few regrets as possible. When the group plays “Hate to Say I Told You So,” fans will be glad they were reminded about Tuesday night.

There is still time to buy “Lex Hives” if more evidence is needed that The Hives is legit. Broke, bored or busy Tuesday night is no excuse to miss the greatest band on the planet.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter at @JOMOFO40.

×