Graduate student organizes after-school science club

Meghan Moloney, chemical engineering graduate student at ASU, advises a club that teaches the fundamentals of science to middle school students at Lowell Elementary school. (Photo by W. Scot Grey)

Chemical engineering graduate student Meghan Moloney has spent much of the semester organizing and mentoring an after-school science club at Lowell Elementary School.

Lowell Elementary School in downtown Phoenix is a Title 1 school, meaning that it is federally funded and has a history of underperforming academically in comparison to other schools.

“We realize that these (Title 1 school) teachers need help sometimes,” Moloney said. “They can’t always do this on their own. They need the extra help from volunteers with strong scientific backgrounds.”

Moloney has completely taken over the club’s responsibilities since she began teaching in the after-school club in fall 2011.

Moloney is looking to expand the organization to other schools, like Shaw Elementary.

Nearly 35 students from sixth to eighth grade make up her club.

“Some of the students who participate are scientifically inclined,” Moloney said. “But many of them just want to try something new and exciting with their friends.”

Moloney said despite her success with the group, she was nervous when she first began.

“There were some nervous moments initially because you aren’t sure of what the kids expect from you,” Moloney said. “But we soon develop this really great brother-sister type relationship.”

She said she will not pursue a career in teaching, but she still entertains the idea of mentoring in some way.

“I believe that I’ll want to continue the outreach work on the side,” Moloney said. “When you find something you really enjoy, that passion sticks with you.”

Trina Howard has taught at Lowell Elementary School for 12 years.

Howard said participating students have benefited academically and socially from the club.

“They have a lot of fun making nicknames for each other and discussing their various science projects,” Howard said. “College kids have the opportunity to be special mentors to students at the middle school level.”

Chemical engineering professor Jean Andino taught Moloney in two of her classes.

“Outreach is something that I was involved with as a graduate student at Caltech,” Andino said. “I know from personal experiences the type of impact that outreach efforts can have on younger students, especially students from communities that have traditionally been underrepresented in the science, engineering and math areas.”

Reach the reporter at mjgordo1@asu.edu

×