Hamilton-Chandler rivalry extends in ASU-UCLA

Redshirt junior linebacker Anthony Jones looks to the sidelines for the play in ASU’s 45-14 victory over Illinois on Sept. 8. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Anyone that has been around Arizona high school football knows about the Chandler versus Hamilton rivalry.

ASU freshman defensive tackle Jaxon Hood and redshirt junior linebacker Anthony Jones are Hamilton graduates, and both know the rivalry all too well.

So does UCLA redshirt freshman quarterback Brett Hundley, a Chandler alumnus.

This week, ASU takes on Pac-12 foe UCLA. For Hood and Jones, this game means a little bit more because Hundley not only wears UCLA powder blue, but also wore blue for Chandler in the past.

“Back in the day, it was very intense,” Jones said. “I miss it. It’s somewhat compared to the UA rivalry.”

In the past couple years, the Hamilton Huskies have dominated the competition. Chandler has yet to beat the Huskies since Hamilton opened in 1998.

When Hundley was the signal caller for the Chandler Wolves, Hamilton did have some narrow victories against him.

In his senior year, Jones played against Hundley when he was a sophomore. During the regular season, Hamilton skated by with a 24-20 victory. Jones gave credit to Hundley, saying he was the main reason for Chandler’s success.

“He’s a great quarterback,” Jones said. “You could see the talent in him. He’s a great running quarterback and his arm’s developing. He’s going to become a great quarterback in the Pac-12.”

Hood is also no stranger to Hundley. Hood helped Hamilton win all of its games against Hundley’s Wolves, but it was never an easy task.

“Obviously when Hundley was there, that was one of their stronger years and had (the) best shot at beating us,” Hood said. “All I remember in my junior year was getting ready for Hundley the whole week because he was the guy.”

Hood would like to forget his performance against Hundley his junior year. Under the bright lights of playing on ESPN, he did not perform the way he wanted to.

“That was the worst game I ever played in my career,” Hood said. “We played a zone to make him throw, (I) left my zone, he cut out and it was a foot race, so of course he is going to win that every time.”’

Jones is trying to look past the rivalry as he prepares for this week’s matchup. He said Hundley’s skills have improved so much since they played each other in high school. The defense will have to prepare for him like ithas for dual-threat quarterbacks in the past.

For Hood, this game is another opportunity to face Hundley. He wants this time to be a little bit different.

“I’m ready for redemption on the big stage now,” Hood said. “I’m not getting beat to the (pylon). I’m not getting out of my zone or anything. I’m going to play what I’m coached to do. I want redemption on Mr. Hundley.”

PT for Vi

In the Sun Devils’ 43-21 loss to No. 4 Oregon last week, starting redshirt senior right guard Andrew Sampson went down with a leg injury.

Redshirt freshman Vi Teofilo had to quickly get ready to play and make an impact. Coach Todd Graham was impressed with how he filled in.

“We were really, really excited about how he played,” Graham said. “(Offensive line) coach (Bob) Connelly thought he played very physically, got after it and did good.”

Sampson still had a walking boot on during Tuesday’s practice, so it appears Teofilo will be starting Saturday. Teofilo said he needed to take advantage of the first team reps at practice this week to prepare for the game.

Sutton Update

The diagnosis on redshirt junior defensive tackle Will Sutton is a bone bruise on his knee, but the team is being cautious. Whether or not he will play against UCLA will be decided Thursday.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×