Maroon and Gamer: A Mac gamer in a PC world

I hate being a Mac Gamer. I truly despise only having a Mac and being a gamer. If you’re asking yourself, “Should I get a Macbook Pro or an iMac for the specific purpose of gaming,” I am telling you right now that no good can come of it.

Mac computers are great for all other tasks, but it is only better to be on a Mac device if  playing games on Facebook was the ultimate gaming experience. If you think I am making mountains out of molehills or that I am really being really over-dramatic, let me tell you a story:

Once upon a time, there was a boy who truly loved playing video games. He did it for hours and hours at a time and would constantly talk about it with the other members of his village. The village spurned his discourse but it did not discourage him. He kept on playing video games.

It was never to the detriment of his other life goals or health. In fact, the exchange of ideas and stories made playing video game that much more important to him. As time went on, his love for video games waned but it picked up again in time. His passion expanded ten-fold. He played and he played to his heart’s content until he heard of a magical place called Steam. People would tell tall tales of the journeys they would have there and how wonderful the city was.

So the boy set out on his long and arduous adventure, but he knew that it would all be worth it. He believed in the people who governed the city and the people who lived in that city. He stuffed his troubles, his woes, his happiness and passion in a bundle and left the next morning. He walked and walked until his feet were sore and worn to the bone.

But he could not stop.

Eventually, he reached what he thought was his destination. It looked so beautiful and grand. He could not believe that his wishes had finally been granted. He entered that revered city only to find that it was not what he expected.

Everything was overpriced. He looked at the games and thought to himself that these games were so old. Where was Borderlands 2? Where was Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition? The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? ... Batman: Arkham City? None of these games were present.

He could only find games released in 2007 and they were overpriced. Some games he had never heard before like “Bad Piggies” and “Tiny Plane.” He did not have the doubloons to spend.

After being defeated, he started his journey back home and gave one final glare to the name on the outside of the city, “Mac App Store.” As he approached his village, a local villager told him that he had walked the complete opposite direction and the boy quickly reconnoitered in the right direction.

He had not seen anything so wonderful in his whole life. The skyscrapers reached for the clouds and the people went in and out of the city in a frenetic and elegant dance. He walked to the Mac section of the city and the mayor told him that not many wizards make games for Mac. The city’s main income is from the other seven-eighths of the city, the PC sector.

The boy’s heart sank but the mayor put his hand on the boy’s shoulder and told him with a smile, “Fear not young man. We will make gaming cheap and affordable for you,” and the boy jumped up in the air and clicked his heels together. And while he is currently living in the Mac sector of the city Steam, he told himself that he’d experience the other sections of the city and truly experience what the everyone else had reveled in — what he took for granted.

Follow me on Twitter @MaroonandGamer and send me an email at shfawcet@asu.edu

×