Maroon and Gamer: Play it again, game

Even thought this is a strictly-based Arizona State University publication, I think everyone should check out Ohio State University’s half-time show.

Seen here, OSU’s tribute to video games is amazing and should leave everyone with shivers down their spine. Even if you’re not up to date with all things video game, it’s a marvel of choreography and composition. Then I got to thinking, there are a lot of video game tunes and music that are so iconic and really complement the game-play in ways that we don’t even think of.

Video game music has come a long way from the cacophony that existed in the Atari and 8-bit era. Hans Zimmer, who scored The Dark Knight trilogy, has scored Crysis 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Clint Mansell, who scored Black Swan, did the Mass Effect 3 soundtrack. Even Sir Paul McCartney has joined Bungie, developers of the Halo franchise, in creating the music for their upcoming game.

An interview from NPR in 2008 discussed the evolution of video game music:

“Like the purpose of all great music, it’s supposed to change your heart rate – to move you and make you feel," the report says. "It was 1993’s Myst that made (top video game composer - John) Wall realize the power of music in a game."

He says the game actually aided the player through the mysterious worlds, functioning as clues.

I’ve met people who say that they turn off the music in video games and that just perplexes me. It’s a bit of a disservice — in my eyes — to not listen to the music that a composer took the time to create. A recent game obsession of mine, Dark Souls, has this gorgeous track called “Nameless Song” from composer Motoi Sakuraba. This is the music that plays during the end credits and evokes a sense of pride and stillness for defeating the final boss after a very difficult and strenuous journey to finish the game.

The same is true for Skyrim from composer Jeremy Soule and the track “One They Fear.” This music plays when you do battle with one of the game’s many dragons and is reminiscent of a theme you would hear in The Lord of the Rings films. Silent Hill’s composer, Akira Yamaoka, creates a hopeful yet unsettling tone with his theme “Promise.” If you go back to watch Silent Hill (2006), the same theme exists in that film as well. It was important for director Christophe Gans to stay as close to the Silent Hill games as possible so he brought Yamaoka on board to score the film.

So if you’re one of those people that mute the game’s music, please take a second and just listen. You might end up tapping your foot or get a tickle in your brain somewhere.

Follow me on Twitter @MaroonandGamer or send me an to shfawcet@asu.edu

×