Pitchfork Sports: Being (an) official, Part 1

A month into the National Football League (NFL) season and there is already commotion and controversy within the league.

This year, the season started with replacement referees. The "real" refs were in a dispute with the NFL over pay and benefits so they went into “lockout” mode. After three weeks of replacement referees, contract discussions and a very controversial call in a Monday Night Football game, the more experienced and professional referees took the field for week four games.

That Monday Night Football game was surely a memorable one if you were a fan of the Seattle Seahawks, and more like a nightmare for those in Green Bay. This had Packers fans in outrage, with the population of Wisconsin begging to end the NFL referees' union so they can take their jobs back.

The replacement officials were tossed in a tough spot. They were to either ref the season until the "real" refs showed up, or there would be no football (which doesn’t even sound right typing it).

The collegiate level referees were already in a contract with their respective conferences and divisions, so they could not take the replacement jobs.

This resulted in referees that had much less experience than NCAA or NFL refs. These "replacements’" did not have Gene Hackman as their coach either.

There were high-school teachers, lawyers and bankers among the replacements. This was a certain downgrade.

However, there are always questionable calls in football and in every other sport as well. The play that decided the Packers/Seahawks game was controversial as it should have been.

Even the professional referees would have to review it. The play would go to the replay booth officials — who are not replacements. They would decide there is not enough evidence to overturn the ruling on the field of a touchdown. The hate would only get worse.

These officials are only human and should be thanked rather than being  hated upon. There are already too many death threats and hate mail that they receive.

Without the replacement refs, the first four Sundays of the NFL season may have been put on hold. (Think NBA lockout but it’s the refs.)

I’m sure this referee issue will pass, but just be sure to complain just as hard for the real referees as you did for the replacements.

Next Thursday, I will take a different perspective on sports — a referee's point of view. Look for how they try to maintain the integrity of the game while not breaking down from the boo's and cheers from the crowd. How thick does their skin need to be?

Do you have any opinions? You can reach me at etrianta@asu.edu

×