The ASU hockey team took the ice over the weekend, taking on D-II San Diego State in a two-game series.

With the No. 2 Sun Devils (9-0-0) winning their last nine-straight games by an average margin of 5.4 goals per game, SDSU (4-3-1) looked to be another stepping stone for ASU.

That may be putting it nicely.

ASU scored 22 goals between the two nights, with 15 different Sun Devil players scoring.

Coach Greg Powers was “pleased” about the weekend against SDSU, but knows there’s a lot of work left to do this season.

Game 1

Junior goaltender Kyle Dietriech got his first start between the pipes Friday, and did an impressive job only giving up two goals that could have been considered unearned.

Both goals occurred on turnovers by the Sun Devils, leaving Dietriech defenseless.

Nine different players scored for ASU in the 10-2 victory, with many players seeing some of their first action of the season.

Junior forward Dave Jantzie led the Sun Devils with two goals on the night.

Game 2

Saturday night provided for a bigger differential with a 12-1 victory by the Sun Devils.

Four different ASU players had a multiple goal game — juniors Danny McAuliffe and Colin Hekle and sophomores Kale Dolinski and Ben Findlay — while senior Darcy Charrois scored his first goal of the season to “get the monkey off my back,” Charrois said.

Junior goaltender Joseph D’Elia stopped 22 of 23 shots, including a textbook save on a breakaway shot by SDSU.

ASU takes the ice Thursday night against No. 23 Eastern Michigan before meeting Colorado State on Friday.

The team will also be holding a toy drive for Phoenix Children’s Hospital starting at Thursday night’s game.

Reach the reporter at msterrel@asu.edu

×