All star pop-punk tour makes stop at Marquee Theater

(Photo courtesy of K.J. Mark)
(Photo courtesy of K.J. Mark)

(Photo courtesy of K.J. Mark)

The Rock Show at the End of the World Tour blasted into Tempe on Nov. 4 to an obviously enthusiastic audience.

All Time Low, joined by The Summer Set, Hit the Lights and The Downtown Fiction, brought its uniquely catchy brand of pop punk to the Marquee Theater.

The Downtown Fiction opened the show to a rather lackluster reaction from the audience despite the band’s energy and onstage antics. Singer Cameron Leahy never stopped moving, jumping on the stage’s platforms and singing wildly. His hilarious facial expressions definitely had members of the crowd laughing and singing along to the band’s hits, including “Thanks for Nothing” and “I Just Wanna Run.”

Hit the Lights took the stage next with lead singer Nick Thompson clearly having vocal trouble. He explained his issues, saying that the band had partied a little too hard in Las Vegas the previous night, drawing whistles and cheers from the entertained audience.

Arizona-based band The Summer Set provided direct support for the tour, bounding onstage to its hit track “Chelsea.” The hometown crowd screamed its approval as TSS kept the energy levels high, playing songs from both of its albums. Singer Brian Dales’s pseudo-cocky attitude kept the mood lighthearted, while the rest of the band jammed to every song, including the new single called “F--k You Over.” Dales briefly slowed the set to play “About a Girl” before the party continued.

The anticipation built to palpable levels as the packed venue waited for All Time Low. Backed by two walls of LED lights as well as the routine spotlights, the Baltimore-natives wasted no time kicking off their set to the tune of “The Reckless and the Brave” from their new album, “Don’t Panic.” Sprinkling in a mix of new and old songs, the fans were clearly smitten with the band’s choices, screaming the words to songs such as “Poppin’,” “Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don’t)” and “Lost in Stereo.”

Singer Alex Gaskarth’s humorous banter with guitarist Jack Barakat prompted catcalling, whistling and even bra throwing from the hundreds of fans in the audience. Barakat’s microphone stand was soon covered in the bras that many fans bring to the shows just to toss on the stage.

While the band’s set seemed very short, it soon re-emerged to play a three-song encore of “Time Bomb,” “Weightless” and “Dear Maria, Count Me In.” Fans were pleasantly surprised to see members of pop punk veterans Yellowcard standing side stage watching the craziness of the concert. All Time Low, along with the rest of the supporting bands, brought an incredible energy and level of fun to the fantastic show.

Reach the reporter at okhiel@asu.edu

×