Letter: In anticipation of Christmas

I believe the lyrics from John Lennon’s "So This is Christmas," is an appropriate way to start this letter. It is the Christmas season all over the world. As I acknowledge this, I cannot help but wonder, which country/who are the people that keep and honor Christmas in the most fitting way? Is it the U.S? Is it because we have eight percent unemployment due in part to the fact that so, so many of our Christmas gifts come from other countries? Is it because our very own government cannot agree that all, I repeat, all Americans need health insurance? Is it because U.S. troops — human beings — are fighting and dying in two countries where it is highly rumored these governments are very corrupt? Is it because after more than 200 years of being a country, we still have bigotry and prejudice?

If you are like me and don't like the answers to these questions, it is not too late to make the answers more positive for the sake of our future. We have got to come to some understanding that we cannot continue to purchase almost everything that is made in other countries! We have got to understand that U.S. troops are also moms, dads, sons and daughters. Our U.S. troops need, I repeat, need to be brought home now. As for the bigotry and the denial of health insurance, I believe these go hand-in-hand. How can a society claim to be civilized when so, so many millions of our citizens are without the very, very necessary safety net of health insurance?

Perhaps this Christmas will be the start of better times in our country. If we all truly understand the real meaning of Christmas, we can change things for the better.

Timothy Monroe Bledsoe

State Press Reader

×