Man tries to steal car because he had to go to a wedding

The man continued to hold on to the car’s steering wheel as the driver drove away.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

ASU Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

Police are investigating an attempted vehicle theft on Oct. 31 on the 600 block of East Apache Boulevard, according to a police report.

The vehicle’s driver and passenger were returning from dinner and parked south of Vista del Sol apartments, police reported.

A white man about 5 feet 10 inches tall with an average build and dirty blond hair approached the car, according to the report.

The man opened the driver’s side door and said he needed the car to go to a wedding, police reported.

The driver began to drive away with the door still open and the man holding on to the car’s steering wheel, according to the report.

She eventually lost him, and the pair returned to the parking lot to meet police, police reported.

Neither the driver nor the passenger agreed to aid in prosecution, according to the report.

Police are investigating an act of criminal damage on the 300 block of East Orange Street between Thursday at 11:45 p.m. and Friday at 2 p.m., according to a police report.

Memorial Union staff discovered a vulgar word written in a light color marker across the top of a pool table in Sparky’s Den, according to the report.

The staff said they would clean the table and try to conceal the word, police reported.

There are no leads, suspects, witnesses or estimated repair costs, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Maria Thompson and Julia Shumway.

Reach the reporter and news editor at mkthomp5@asu.edu and julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×