Mitchell bets dinner, six-pack on ASU Territorial Cup victory

Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell bet a dinner and a six-pack of beer from Four Peaks Brewery that ASU would beat UA in Friday's Territorial Cup football game. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell has put his Sun Devil pride on the line in a bet with Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild over which city’s university will win Friday’s Territorial Cup football game.

Mitchell, an ASU alumnus, said he proposed the wager because it adds an interesting element to the traditional rivalry.

“I’m a proud Sun Devils fan,” he said.

The mayor of the losing team’s city will buy the winning team’s mayor lunch in the victor’s city while wearing the winning team’s jersey, according to a press release the city of Tempe published Tuesday.

The losing mayor will also have to provide the victor with a six-pack of beer from a local brewery, the press release said.

“Both Mayor Rothschild and I are proud of our hometown teams, but make no mistake, I’m confident the Sun Devils will trounce the Wildcats this year under new coach Todd Graham,” Mitchell said in the press release. “I fully intend to enjoy my lunch courtesy of Mayor Rothschild and look forward to seeing him in an ASU Sun Devils jersey.”

If ASU loses, Mitchell will give Rothschild beer from Tempe’s Four Peaks Brewery.

The UA Wildcats won last year’s game at Sun Devil Stadium 31-27.

Reach the reporter at tnhoman@asu.edu

×