SPM Acoustics: Wallow in the Mire

SPM Acoustics: Wallow The Mire from The State Press on Vimeo.

Through controlled harmonic vocals and heart-wrenching drum beats, local Phoenix band Wallow in the Mire creates soulful tunes that will have you hypnotically tapping your feet while getting lost in the lyrics.

Israel Lozoya named the band after a line from “Light My Fire” by The Doors. The lyricist and drummer, says that when he writes the songs for Wallow in the Mire it’s his goal to bring people hope and to demonstrate that there are positive things in the world despite all the “negative music out there.”

“I really just want to bring a positive message to everybody, so they can know that we’re really focused on our song writing and just that we wouldn’t write to make money or stuff,” Lozoya says as the rest of the band nods in agreement.

Collectively influenced by Switchfoot, the members of Wallow in the Mire each incorporate different ideas into the band through their musical influences with lead singer Josh Caballes finding inspiration from Usher:

“He’s the reason I started dancing,” Caballes says. “I can dougie.”

Although influenced by The Used, Paramore, 30 Seconds to Mars and I the Mighty, Wallow in the Mire brings about its own vibrato to the alternative rock world, something the band touched upon when talking about its most memorable gig.

After the gig at South by Southwest in Austen, Texas, last spring, Caballes says that people came up to them to say that the band’s music moved them; but aside from gaining fame, the band experienced something that brings the entire band to laughter today.

Guitarist Jacob Cardona says that as they were leaving the concert grounds, they had formed a circle around their manager and their manager’s niece to protect them from all the crazy people.

As they walked off, a drunken guy came up to Lozoya and tried kissing him. At this recollection, Lozoya just shakes head slowly with a hint of shyness.

“We were a bunch of church boys going to the most un-church environment ever, but we loved it,” Caballes says while the band laughs, recalling the moment.

While Caballes defines the band as church boys, the band describes itself on its Facebook Fan Page as “professional babe watcher, hot-dog eating champions” who guarantee a good show.

The guys have been playing together for two years, but as Wallow in the Mire, the band recently celebrated its one-year anniversary.

Find Wallow in the Mire on Facebook, YouTube, MySpace and Twitter.

Reach the writer at nagonza1@asu.edu or @NoemiPossible

×