The Campus Closet: Local fashion for a cause

Fisk uses fashion for a cause. Photo courtesy of Meghan Fisk.

Fisk uses fashion for a cause against child abuse. Photo courtesy of Meghan Fisk.

ASU student Meghan Fisk is a young entrepreneur and the creator of You Are... Clothing Inc., who shows how fashion can be used for a good cause.

After researching child abuse and neglect in her community she found a deep desire to find a solution.

Fisk says knowing about the issue of child abuse and neglect in my community, she wanted to do something about it.

"I often found myself waking up in the middle of the night and writing myself notes, so I remembered my thoughts in the morning, on how I could help," she says. "One night I woke up and thought to myself, I am going to create a clothing and accessory company to help these children.”

The next morning Fisk  researched what she needed to create her very own non profit clothing organization.

Each article of clothing from You Are... Clothing inc is uniquely handcrafted by Meghan. She first hand dyes each individual piece. Then using a technique called “reverse dying” she creates letters and inspirational words on the clothing. Since she handcrafts each piece individually, no two are the same.

With each purchase from You Are… Clothing Inc. 50 percent of the profits are donated to the national organization, Childhelp. Childhelp exists to meet the physical, emotional, educational, and spiritual needs of abused, neglected and at-risk children.

“With the support of our community, the loyalty of our customers and our determination, we feel that together, we can work towards a brighter future; a future without abuse, a future where children can grow and succeed in life without fear,” Fisk says.

Fashion has been used over the years to show support for many different local issues and ones around the world. Usually being just a t-shirt, Meghan has found a way to create a unique articles of clothing that are cute, creative and for a good cause.

For more information on You Are... Clothing Inc. visit http://www.youareclothinginc.com/, and for more information on Childhelp visit Childhelp.org.

With any story ideas feel free to contact me at gmnelson@asu.edu

×