Bravo to the ASU men's basketball team, which is off to a very hot start this season. If they beat Cal State Northridge on Saturday, the Sun Devils will start the year 8-1 for only the fourth time in the past 38 seasons. Jahii Carson is already receiving national attention as one of the country's top freshmen so far. ASU has benefited from a fairly easy non-conference schedule and hasn't played a Pac-12 team, but it's safe to say that ASU hoops is putting together a dramatic improvement from last year’s disappointing 10-win finish.

Boo to the State Bar of Arizona's investigation into Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne. Horne is being accused of violating campaign finance rules. He and his employee, Kathleen Winn, are both being accused of working with an independent expenditure committee during the 2010 election.  The hearing will take place next month, reports KJZZ.

Bravo to Nova Scotia's Dalhousie University for providing a "puppy room" for students suffering from finals freak-outs. The school brought in trained therapy dogs to alleviate the stress of passing classes, so these lucky Canadians can cuddle with cute canines. It's something ASU should consider – imagine the Memorial Union overrun with 101 Dalmatians, dachshunds and Dobermans. Finals would be a time to look forward to, not the two weeks we start dreading after Thanksgiving ends.

Boo to the "War on Christmas" that has been popularized by media outlets such as Fox News. If anything, the sheer multitude of Christmas-oriented events and the always-early appearance of Christmas decorations in retail stores should go to show that Christmas is hardly an oppressed holiday. Whether it’s neighborhoods full of colorful light displays or Santa's grand appearances at the mall, Christmas is possibly one of the most bourgeois holidays of the year. Americans can rest assured that the holiday will maintain its strong presence in U.S. consumerist culture for many years to come.

Bravo to the 2013 Grammy nominations announced on Dec. 5. While pop stars are still dominating the majority of nominations, the absence of Justin Bieber, The Wanted and One Direction is quite a relief. Frank Ocean is deserving of his Record of the Year and Album of the Year nominations, along with The Black Keys and Mumford and Sons. However, we are still wondering why the most annoying song in the world, a.k.a. Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” is up for Record of the Year.

×