Art of the Matter: DIY Dream Catcher

Display prominently. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

I’ve been making dream catchers for about three years now.  I’ve always loved the way they look, so one day I decided to teach myself how to make them, and they’re surprisingly simple!

So, today I’ll be teaching you how to make one too.

The materials you’ll need are as follows:

All materials can be found at pretty much any craft store. Photo by Alexandria Conrad All materials can be found at pretty much any craft store. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

-A ring or hoop of some sort. The bigger the hoop, the more material you’ll need. (I once made once with a hula-hoop . . . true story)

-Ribbon to go around the outside of the hoop

-String or twine for the inside weaving

-Leather or suede cording

-Feathers. Lots and lots of feathers . . . I love feathers.

-Beads (optional)

-Skinny wire

Here we go!

2.Crossing the strings keeps the loop in tact. Photo by Alexandria Conrad 2. Crossing the strings keeps the loop in tact. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Step 1: Weaving the middle

Take the hoop and loop the string around it. Tie a knot to secure it. Then loop the string again a bit further along the hoop. When you loop the string, make sure to cross the string over itself before making the next loop (as shown in the photo.) It’s basically like tying half of a knot. Continue with this, spacing your loops accordingly, until you come to where you started on the hoop.

Tying the weave off early and leaving a whole in the center is a popular technique as well. Photo by Alexandria Conrad Tying the weave off early and leaving a whole in the center is a popular technique as well. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Then, use the same technique, but instead of on the hoop, make the new loops around the string you’ve already secured onto the hoop. This will lead to a spiral-like pattern of looping the string onto itself until you reach the center, where you tie a knot to end it.

4.Wrap the ribbon of your choice around the hoop. Photo by Alexandria Conrad 4. Wrap the ribbon of your choice around the hoop. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Wow . . . I really tried to make that as simple as possible, but I promise it only gets more easy from here. Anyway, the optional beads can be added during this step by stringing them on as you weave, just to add a little something to the center of your dream catcher.

*Tip: For this dream catcher, I used an embroidery hoop; an idea I got from one of my favorite DIY blogs.

Step 2: Wrapping the outside

5.Tie the suede cord onto the bottom of the hoop. Photo by Alexandria Conrad 5. Connect the feather to the cord by wrapping it with wire. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Use the ribbon to wrap the hoop, and tie it at the top. Because I used an embroidery hoop, and I enjoy the color of the wood, I decided to only wrap the outside hoop. If you choose to use an embroidery hoop as well, make sure to put the hoops back together before continuing on to the next step.

Step 3: Tying the suede cord

Cut two strips of suede cord, and fasten them onto the bottom of the hoop so both ends of the strip dangle below the hoop.

Step 4: Feather fastening

Display prominently. Photo by Alexandria Conrad Display prominently. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Take as many feathers as your heart desires and fasten them onto the end of each cord by wrapping wire around both materials.

Step 5: Enjoy

Display your dream catcher and leave the clean-up for later!

If you’d like to reach me with comments, concerns, or suggestions, you can email me at anconrad13@gmail.com or tweet me at @alliectersely

×