Art of the Matter: Takin' It To The Streets

Vibrant and beautiful. The colors work so well together. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Street art is a huge part of the culture of Arizona, especially in downtown Phoenix.  It’s hard to walk down any street and not find some sort of painting or decal waiting for your eyes to feast upon it. And that’s exactly what these works seem to be: a visual feast. Each work is so detailed and unique, you can’t help but stop and admire (which is pretty inconvenient because it makes me late for everything).

Before I came to Arizona and realized the powers of street art could be used for good, I always viewed “graffiti” as vandalism. However, my view may have been subject to the fact that most street art in Los Alamitos, California is rather amateur.

Nevertheless, the art in Phoenix is beautiful, and has really transformed the city into a wonderful place to explore.

During my quest for photos on Wednesday, I was lucky enough to run into an artist painting on the façade of 8th Day: Coffee and Culture on 2nd St. between McKinley and Garfield streets.

The 21-year-old artist, Katie Barth, was painting butterflies perched on a human heart. She said this symbolized the transformation of the heart of the city.

So, next time you are in Phoenix, take some time to stop and smell the roses. And by roses I mean the street art. And by smell I mean look at.

But in the meantime, here are a few pieces for your viewing pleasure, all of which were found within a three block radius, so you can only imagine how packed this city is with art.

The angel looking over Angel’s Trumpet on 2nd St. Photo by Alexandria Conrad The angel looking over Angel’s Trumpet on 2nd St. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

A skull either eating or barfing up a curb. Photo by Alexandria Conrad A skull either eating or barfing up a curb. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

A Dumpster has a secret. Photo by Alexandria Conrad A Dumpster has a secret. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

One of my favorite pieces, “A loving homage to the great Margaret Kilgallen.” Photo by Alexandria Conrad One of my favorite pieces, “A loving homage to the great Margaret Kilgallen.” Photo by Alexandria Conrad

I call this one Dapper Panda. Photo by Alexandria Conrad I call this one Dapper Panda. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Another favorite, “Eternal Sunshine of Bird City” Another favorite, “Eternal Sunshine of Bird City.” Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Katie Barth painting her transformation piece. Photo by Alexandria Conrad Katie Barth painting her transformation piece. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

I call this one Less Dapper, But Just as Cute, Pandas. Photo by Alexandria Conrad I call this one Less Dapper, But Just as Cute, Pandas. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

Vibrant and beautiful. The colors work so well together. Photo by Alexandria Conrad Vibrant and beautiful. The colors work so well together. Photo by Alexandria Conrad

If you’d like to contact me with comments, concerns or suggestions, you can email me at anconrad13@gmail.com or tweet me at @alliectersely

×