The Los Angeles Clippers are known for their ridiculous ally-oops. Their play has coined the nickname “Lob City”.

Senior wing Carrick Felix threw out a nickname Sunday for ASU’s style of play along the same lines — Block City.

When Felix was asked about the way the Sun Devils guarded the paint in their win over Colorado Sunday, his immediately responded, “Block City…Block City.”

“That’s just something I made up at the time,” Felix said Tuesday. “But hey, we can roll with it because low key, it kind of is Block City. JB (junior center Jordan Bachynski) is up there throwing them. I’m up there throwing them. So Block City, you can ring it up.”

In the Pac-12, Tempe is clearly “Block City.”

ASU ranks first in the Pac-12 in blocked shots with 120 and averages eight a game. Its opponent Thursday, Oregon State, is second, but with just 5.3 blocks a game respectively. Only Kansas and St. John’s have blocked more shots than ASU heading into Thursday’s contest against the Beavers.

“They’ve got all these names going on and they just put stuff out there,” Bachynski said when asked if it was catching on in the locker room. “If that’s the new thing, then I’ll roll with it.”

Bachynski’s 4.6 blocks a game average tops the Pac-12 over sophomore forward Eric Moreland’s 2.7 average. Bachynksi ranks third in the country in blocks with 69 behind Kansas senior center Jeff Withey and St. John’s freshman Chris Obekpa.

He’s already tied for fourth at ASU for most blocks in a single season two games into conference play.

“It really is amazing,” Bachynski said about his block totals. “In high school I figured I did (block shots) because I towered over everyone, but in the Pac and college ball, everyone is great. I’m honored that I’m able to do so well.”

Felix is seventh in the conference with 1.5 blocked shots a game. He doesn’t have Bachynski's size, but Felix uses his athleticism to make some eye-popping, LeBron James-esque chase down blocks. He said ASU has the personnel to rack up blocks and playing exclusively man-to-man defense has benefited the frontcourt this season.

“It’s released Jordan to not think so much when he’s playing on defense,” Felix said. “He’s more free and he’s able to do what he does best which is block shots. And with me, whether we’re playing zone or man, I’m always going to play hard. It puts me in a better position to help the team get back possessions.”

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×