Man attempts suicide with prescription drugs

ASU Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 26-year-old man was transported to the hospital after an alleged suicide attempt, according to a police report.

The man said he took 27 milligrams of melatonin at his home in Mesa, police reported.

One of the man’s friends contacted police after receiving a text message from him, according to the report.

The text message said the victim had taken sleeping pills and hoped to die in his sleep, according to the report.

The man was conscious and awake when an officer arrived at his home, police reported.

The police officer was able to speak to the victim and question him on his consumption, police reported.

The victim was also taking prescription depression pills, according to the report. He said he had obtained the melatonin from a friend and that it was an over-the-counter medication, police reported.

The man told police he was an ASU student who did not have enough money to enroll in a new semester, police reported.

The victim was taken to the hospital for evaluation, according to the report.

Police are investigating the theft of an 18-year-old man's television from his dorm room on the Tempe campus, according to a police report.

The man left his dorm on Dec. 19 and found the television missing when he returned from winter break on Sunday, police reported.

Police said there was no sign of forced entry, according to the report.

The victim said he had locked his door but shares a bathroom with another suite, police reported.

He said the bathroom doors do not lock, according to the report.

Police spoke to the residential community assistant, who said students must leave their keys before checking out of their residence, police reported.

She said no one is allowed to enter the room, but the facilities management did enter to spray for bugs during the break, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Jacqueline Solis.

Reach the reporter at jcsolis@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @jackiecsolis

×