Welcome to the newsroom

I cannot believe this week is over.

Classes are in session, and The State Press is back.

Since the start of 2013, The State Press has posted more than 80 stories, columns, videos and photos. It’s a momentum that will not be slowed. We have a semester full of new content for you to bring you new ways to look at your Arizona State University.

NEW_jack-timeline-web (Click to enlarge) | By Meghan Anderson

That being said, our content is not made magically. A staff of about 100 reporters, editors, photojournalists, columnists, designers work in together to create this product that we all love. It's a labor of love that takes us away from our loved ones (and our homework) on a daily basis. We love our jobs and want to bring you inside our newsroom.

Enter this blog, a place to add extra tidbits from the newsroom, for editors to comment on stories.

This week’s cover story is on Jack Culolias, a 19-year-old freshman and Sigma Alpha Epsilon pledge who went missing on Nov. 30. Two weeks later his body was found in Tempe Town Lake. Our investigative reporter looked at his last 24-hours, his disappearance and how they found his body. But he also talked with his family and best friend. Read our story to satisfy the question: What happened to Jack? He was more than just a fraternity pledge and a missing student. He was a son looking to escape grief from his father’s death and a member of Sun Devil Nation.

To tell Jack's story, we used multiple photographs, both donated by family and friends and originals taken by staff photographers. Our design editor also made an infographic of the search area. Multimedia staff interviewed search and rescue workers who eventually found Jack's body.

One area of the coverage that did not make it into our final presentation was a timeline of the events. It was better included in the narrative of the story, but we would still like to present it to you.

×