Woman breaks into neighbor's house, then attacks police officer

The woman believed her neighbor stole from her and had entered his house earlier in the day.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

A 62-year-old Tempe woman was arrested Jan. 11 on the 1400 block of East Eighth Street on suspicion of criminal trespassing, aggravated assault and aggravated assault of an officer, according to a police report.

Earlier in the afternoon, the woman entered her neighbor's apartment, because she believed he was stealing from her, police reported.

An officer issued her a criminal trespassing warning at that time, according to the report.

Later that evening, officers received another call from the neighbor, who said the woman entered his apartment and stood over him with a knife, police reported.

When officers arrived, the woman said she did go to his apartment to demand her stuff back, according to the report.

She then struck the officer in the groin, police reported.

Before the woman was placed in the back seat of the patrol car, she spit on the officer and struck her above the left eyebrow, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge.

A 49-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 10 at West Southern and South Mill avenues on suspicion of aggravated driving under the influence, according to a police report.

An officer observed the man's vehicle stopped partially in the crosswalk while preparing to turn north onto Mill Avenue, police reported.

He pulled the man over in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant on the corner, according to the report.

The man did not have his license or wallet with him, but he gave the officer his name, police reported.

The officer could smell alcohol on the man's breath, according to the report.

His eyes watered and he swayed while walking, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge.

Reach the news editor at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×