Art of the Matter: Tuesdays with The Duce

Yeah, they have a boxing ring. So what? Photo by Alexandria Conrad

^ I asked DJ and dance instructor Jonathan Lindsey for the name of one of his favorite swing songs, and after much deliberation, he gave me this one. Press play, and let the music put you in the swinging mood while you read!

If nothing else, just visit for the atmosphere this place provides. Photo courtesy of Ryan Rahn via South Central Swing at the Duce Facebook page If nothing else, just visit for the atmosphere this place provides. Photo courtesy of Ryan Rahn via South Central Swing at the Duce Facebook page

I went swing dancing Tuesday night at The Duce, and it. was. awesome.

Now, I didn’t set out with the intent to partake in the dancing, just to watch other people and check out this place that I had heard so much about. However, I guess sitting on the sidelines isn’t really encouraged, so when I was asked to dance I figured I’d give it a shot since everyone seemed to be having such a blast doing it.

Every Tuesday night, at The Duce on Central Ave. and Lincoln St., is South Central Swing Night with a free hour-long swing lesson starting at 7:30, then an open dance floor until midnight, accompanied by $5 drinks from the bar.

Jonathan Lindsey preaching the practice of swing. Photo courtesy Ryan Rahn via South Central Swing at the Duce Facebook page Jonathan Lindsey preaching the practice of swing. Photo courtesy Ryan Rahn via South Central Swing at the Duce Facebook page

If you’ve never swing danced, this is really the place to learn. Though, I didn’t participate in the lesson, I think I learned some of the moves just by watching DJ/dance instructor Jonathan Lindsey explain them step-by-step.

Now I’ve got some natural rhythm, but I am by no means an able-bodied swing dancer. Nobody cared! The partners that asked me to dance were very understanding and very skillfully lead me around, making me feel and look as if I knew what I was doing.  So if you’re weary about your dancing abilities, fear not my fellow clumsy persons! The Duce can help!

Ok, as much as I’d like to discuss swing dancing even more, I have to leave some room for Duce appreciation because this place became one of my new favorites after just one visit.

Yeah, they have a boxing ring. So what? Photo by Alexandria Conrad Yeah, they have a boxing ring. So what? Photo by Alexandria Conrad

The Duce is basically a big warehouse that offers all the services.  They’ve got food and dessert served from a streamline-trailer-turned-food-truck, a bar that offers frequently discounted drinks, a dance floor for said dancing and karaoke on the weekends, a very eclectic vintage store, and to top it all of: they have a freakin’ boxing ring in the middle of the space.

Didn’t know you could fall in love with a place so quickly? Yeah, me neither.

I will definitely be returning to swing dancing night, and I’ll probably be frequenting that karaoke microphone as well, so come join me! I can promise you won’t be disappointed.

If you’d like to contact me with comments, concerns or suggestions, you can email me at anconrad13@gmail.com or tweet me at @alliectersely

×