ASU softball 2013 batting order preview

Junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo winds back ready to release a pitch against Kentucky on Feb. 9. Escobedo and the ASU softball pitching staff have led the Sun Devils to a 7-0 start. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

Softball; ASU; Dallas Escobedo Junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo winds back ready to release a pitch against Kentucky on Feb. 9. Escobedo and the ASU softball pitching staff have led the Sun Devils to a 7-0 start. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

ASU softball coach Clint Myers is no stranger to changing the lineup. Based upon who is hot, the lineup is subject to change. Here’s a breakdown of the batting order as it currently stands:

1. Jr. | SS | Cheyenne Coyle

The junior transfer from Florida made a major splash in the Kajikawa Classic. After seven games, Coyle leads the team in home runs (five), RBI (10) and runs (eight).

2. Jr. | CF | Alix Johnson

It’s been a rough start offensively for the All-American. Through seven games, Johnson is hitting .130. Last season, Johnson hit .395 and a .763 slugging percentage.

In the 10-0 win over Boise State, Johnson hit her first home run of the season, a play she hopes gets her back on track.

3. So. | C | Amber Freeman

Freeman is off to a solid start in 2013. The sophomore catcher is hitting .316 with three home runs in the early going.

4. So. | LF | Elizabeth Caporuscio

So far this season, Caporuscio has been a hitting machine, despite nursing a quad injury. On the season Caporuscio, has 12 hits in 21 at-bats, five of which are for extra bases.

“She is getting better,” Myers said of the injury. “I mean my god, the girl’s swinging that bat like no tomorrow. She missed a lot of practice early on. She’s just trying to catch up right now.”

5. So. | 3B | Haley Steele

Steele made the Pac-12 All-Freshman team last season along with Freeman and Caporuscio carrying a .284 average and 11 home runs.

With the success some of Steele’s teammates are having offensively this season, she is sliding under the radar.

6. Sr. | 2B | Sam Parlich

The senior second baseman had difficulties on defense last season with 15 errors and already made two errors this season. Offensively, Parlich is playing quality softball with eight hits in 22 at-bats.

7. So. | 1B | Bethany Kemp

Freshman Nikki Girard actually started the most recent game, but Kemp gets the lineup spot here, because she has started five games compared to Girard’s two.

Kemp is hitting .333 this season in 15 at-bats while Girard has a .444 clip in nine at-bats. It’s a little premature to determine the victor of this position battle.

8. Jr. | DP | Lucy Aubrecht

Aubrecht is the backup catcher, but she has seen significant playing time this season at both catcher and designated player.

ASU has already played three doubleheaders this season. The Sun Devils need both catchers healthy to make it through the long season.

9. Jr. | RF | Bailey Wigness

If there’s one word to describe Wigness it’s this: Quick. The junior left-handed batter is easily the fastest player on the team.

Against Boise State, Wigness turned an ordinary single to left-field into a double because of her hustle. On another play in the Kajikawa Classic, Wigness ran all the way around the bases on a bunt and a throwing error.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu

×