ASU student dies after jump from building

ASU Police responded to the death of an ASU student Tuesday afternoon at the Goldwater Center. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

ASU Police responded to the death of an ASU student Tuesday afternoon at the Goldwater Center. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo) ASU Police responded to the death of an ASU student Tuesday afternoon at the Goldwater Center. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

A 21-year-old ASU student died after jumping from the 6th floor of a Tempe campus building Tuesday afternoon, according to ASU Police.

ASU Alerts sent a notification around 5 p.m. that stated students, faculty and staff should avoid the area near The Barry M. Goldwater Center for Science and Engineering building.

Tannaz Besharatian, a biochemistry sophomore, said she was walking to class shortly before 4 p.m. when she saw students gathered around the back of the Goldwater Center. Besharatian said another student called 911, and police arrived around 4:15 p.m.

ASU Counseling Services also responded to the scene, according to ASU Police. Police cleared the scene at 6:30 p.m.

Police declared the death a suicide. According to police, the student left a note.

“The University offers its condolences to family and friends of the student,” said Sharon Keeler, an ASU spokeswoman.

ASU Counseling Services will be available on all four campuses on an ongoing basis. A crisis line for ASU students is available at 480-921-1006.

Individuals who suspect a friend or family member is demonstrating signs of suicidal thoughts should seek immediate help from a doctor, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. The NIMH also recommends that anyone with suicidal intentions should not be left alone.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline  recommends anyone in need of help to call 1-800-273-8255.

Reach the reporters at sraymundo@asu.edu and uvitkovs@asu.edu or follow them on Twitter @ShawnFVRaymundo and @Julie_Vit

×