ASU swim and dive loses to rival UA in last dual meet

Redshirt senior Alicia Brightwell lifts her right arm with the ball ready to strike against on April 14, 2012. Brightwell and the rest of the ASU water polo team dominated UCSD 10-4 on Feb. 9. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Redshirt senior Alicia Brightwell lifts her right arm with the ball ready to strike against on April 14, 2012. Brightwell and the rest of the ASU water polo team dominated UCSD 10-4 on Feb. 9. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky) Redshirt senior Alicia Brightwell lifts her right arm with the ball ready to strike against on April 14, 2012. Brightwell and the rest of the ASU water polo team dominated UCSD 10-4 on Feb. 9. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Losing the last dual-meet of the season hurts, but losing it to your rival hurts even more.

The ASU swim and dive team ended its dual-meet season on a sour note on Saturday after it was defeated by the UA Wildcats (No. 9 men and No. 5 women). The day ended with scores of 179-105 on the men’s side and 203-92 on the women’s in Tucson.

Individually, some Sun Devil men swimmers continued their improvement on the season against great competition. Juniors Karl Boscacci and Alex Palumbo, senior Sean Niccolucci and freshman Brendan Weiner swept the 1000 free placing first through fourth respectively.

Standout junior transfer Alex Coci turned in yet another solid dual-meet performance, notching a win in the 200 fly for men’s swimming second win of the day.

The women didn’t fare as well as the men, as they weren’t able to place in the top spot in any event on the day.

Junior Tristin Baxter swam well but couldn’t edge out UA in her strongest event the 1000 free, taking second place.

It seems after every meet there is something positive to say about senior diver Harrison Jones. Jones was able to sweep both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives once again.

Jones is undoubtedly making an All-American bid with his senior campaign as he has yet to lose a competition all year. He will look to ride the momentum into the Pac-12 Championships in Washington coming up towards the end of February.

Reach the reporter at ross.dunham@asu.edu

×