ASU women's hoops next 5 of 6 at home

Sophomore guard Promise Amukamara’s shot is blocked by Washington redshirt freshman forward Talia Walton on Feb. 3. The ASU women’s basketball team hopes to salvage their season in their next games at home. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Sophomore guard Promise Amukamara’s shot is blocked by Washington redshirt freshman forward Talia Walton on Feb. 3. The ASU women’s basketball team hopes to salvage their season in their next games at home. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum) Sophomore guard Promise Amukamara’s shot is blocked by Washington redshirt freshman forward Talia Walton on Feb. 3. The ASU women’s basketball team hopes to salvage their season in their next games at home. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

There’s no doubt that the ASU women’s basketball team has suffered during conference play. However, looking at the Sun Devils’ (11-13, 3-9) upcoming schedule, things may be looking up.

ASU has its next five out of six games at home and all six are in Arizona. Home is always a place of comfort and familiarity, but the Sun Devils are only 6-4 at Wells Fargo.

Defending their home court could end up as vengeance in their minds.

“I think they kind of learned from that Washington homestand that they can’t relax at home and they have to bring it," coach Charli Turner Thorne said. "I feel like this team will respond well. We’re going to learn from our own correctables and be ready to be back home and get some wins.”

The Sun Devils start with Utah and No. 21 Colorado this weekend. They folded against the Utes in their last meetings and lost both games by double-digits.

The Sun Devils then play back-to-back rivalry games vs. UA and then finish up at home versus the southern California schools. In its last meetings, the Sun Devils beat USC and only lost to No. 15 UCLA by four points.

“Obviously, no easy games ever in the conference, but we certainly feel good about getting to play these teams," Turner Thorne said. "Four of these teams we’ve already played, and we’re excited about getting another opportunity."

Conference struggles

ASU is tied for second-to-last in the Pac-12 standings with UA and Oregon State.

It’s been obvious how improved this conference is, and the Sun Devils are right in the thick of it.

ASU went 8-4 in its early nonconference state. It scored over 60 points in nine of those 12 games. In 12 Pac-12 games, it has scored over 60 points only six times.

Offense has been the main problem for the Sun Devils as of late. They have averaged only 50 points in their last five losses.

Only OSU averages less than ASU’s 59 points per contest.

Three of its next six teams — UCLA, CU and UA — are in the top half of conference scoring average per game.

Learning to win

With only two returning seniors that are able to play and three juniors, the rest of the Sun Devil squad are underclassmen.

With the loss of senior Deja Mann before the start of the season, everyone realized the struggles ASU would encounter without veteran leadership.

What the Sun Devils are currently progressing in is the ability to learn, adapt and find themselves.

Other teams do this during their non-conference games or even before the season. These Sun Devils must do it during the thick of the season.

“I said to my team, ‘What did you learn from that team?’ That’s where we want to be and that’s where we expect to be sooner rather than later,” Turner-Thorne said.

Later is coming pretty soon.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×