Man arrested with open Busch container, methamphetamine

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 56-year-old Mesa man was arrested Friday near the corner of South McClintock and East Randall Drives on suspicion of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia possession and driving with an open container of alcohol, according to a police report.

A police officer stopped the man driving faster than the posted speed limit and not having the license plate properly lit, police reported.

He appeared very nervous to the officer and looked down when he spoke, according to the report.

After the officer saw a can of Busch beer in a vehicle cup holder, the man told the officer it was his, but it was empty, police reported.

The officer checked the can, and it was half full of beer, according to the report.

The man was told to step out of the vehicle, which he did, and a canine handler arrived with a drug-sniffing dog, police reported.

The dog alerted to the officers of a cigarette box containing a glass pipe with white residue and plastic baggies with methamphetamines, according to the report.

After the man was read his Miranda rights and complied, he said he bought the methamphetamines for $20, was given the pipe and was going to smoke the drug later, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, booked for the open container and released pending drug charges, according to the report.

A 26-year-old Tempe woman was arrested Friday afternoon at the 1900 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of third degree burglary, according to a police report.

A security camera taped the woman entering a sixth grade classroom at Children’s First Academy and took $20 from the teacher’s purse, police reported.

The woman does not have a child in the teacher’s class and was not permitted by authorized staff to be on the school grounds, according to the report.

The woman told police she did take the $20 and has done it three other times before, police reported.

The teacher was willing to aid in prosecution, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking and was later released, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ShawnFVRaymundo

×