Police: Man drove under the influence of alcohol

ASU Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 20-year-old man was arrested late Saturday night near South Rural Road and East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of driving under the influence, according to the report.

Police initially tried to stop the man because his vehicle headlights were not on, police reported.

The man did not immediately stop after police signaled him to pull over, but after stopping, police noticed the man was sweating and had watery eyes, according to the report.

As police spoke to the man and passengers in the vehicle, officers smelled alcohol emanating from the vehicle, police reported.

The man and passengers all said they didn't drink alcohol, but police asked the man to step out of the vehicle, police reported.

After passing several sobriety tests, the man submitted to a portable breath test, which indicated a positive reading of 0.021, according to the report.

The man's car was impounded and he was transported to the ASU Police station in Tempe for processing, according to the report.

A 20-year-old man was arrested Saturday afternoon on the 700 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of underage alcohol possession, according to a police report.

Police were at Vista del Sol apartments for an unrelated incident when they saw the man walking toward them with a 30-pack of beer, who then turned around and walked away, police reported.

As police approached the man, he walked behind a dumpster and continued to walk away from police without his beer, police reported.

An officer called to the suspect, asking him why he was leaving his beer behind a dumpster, to which the man said, “What beer?" according to the report.

After identifying the name and age of the man, he said that he was “just the messenger,” police reported.

After police asked the man why he lied about the beer, he said he had taken seven shots of alcohol earlier in the day, police reported.

The man said he got the beer from a friend and was dropped off at Vista del Sol to bring it to another group of friends, according to the report.

The man later became upset and refused to answer any more questions, police reported.

Police issued the man a citation, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Randsom Rockliffe

Reach the reporter at rrocklif@asu.edu or on follow him on Twitter @RRockliffe

×