The Campus Closet: DIY Crop Top Out of an Old T-shirt

Pair your new crop top with a pair of high-waisted shorts and a bandeau for a cute springtime look. Photo courtesy of Gabi Nelson

Last weekend’s 70-degree temperatures got me in the mood for spring. I started going through my closet and pulling out all of my favorite dresses and shorts, but just like with any new season I started longing for new clothes. Instead of going shopping I decided to get creative and turn old clothes into new.

This season a huge trend is crop tops. They were a big hit at the spring New York Fashion Week last fall, and I’m starting to see them pop up in boutiques and street styles. They go perfect with a pair of high-waisted shorts or a skirt, and give off a super-cute vintage, summertime feel.

But who knew it was so easy to make one out of an old T-shirt? I put together a DIY project with step-by-step instructions to make your very own crop top out of an old T-shirt. Have fun!

Materials

Old t-shirt

Lace or ribbon

Scissors

You will need an old T-shirt, scissors, and lace/ribbon for this project. Photo by Gabi Nelson. You will need an old T-shirt, scissors, and lace/ribbon for this project. Photo by Gabi Nelson

Step one: The first step in making your crop top is getting out any wrinkles in the shirt. Then lay the shirt out flat, and sit in a comfortable position where you can cut evenly.

Step two: Now it’s time to cut away. Start by cutting off the sleeves, and then the neck, leaving about two inches of fabric like a tank top. Then cut out a half-circle shape on the bottom of the shirt.

Note: As you wear the top the edges will probably curl up. Cut the center shorter for this reason. This will also give it that crop look.

Cut the shirt to resemble this. Photo by Gabi Nelson Cut the shirt to resemble this. Photo by Gabi Nelson

Step three: After your shirt is cut to your liking, flip it over. Take the ribbon or lace and tie the back shoulders together super-tight. Make sure you are tying close to the seams of the shirt.

Note: If you do not have ribbon or lace you can use scraps of the shirt for this part. Just make sure to cut the scraps into long strips.

Flip the shirt over and tie the shoulder together. Photo courtesy of Gabi Nelson Flip the shirt over and tie the shoulder together. Photo courtesy of Gabi Nelson

Step four: Pair your new crop top with a pair of high-waisted shorts and a bandeau for a cute springtime look. Enjoy!

Pair your new crop top with a pair of high-waisted shorts and a bandeau for a cute springtime look. Photo courtesy of Gabi Nelson Pair your new crop top with a pair of high-waisted shorts and a bandeau for a cute springtime look. Photo courtesy of Gabi Nelson

With any questions, comments, or suggestions contact me at gmnelson@asu.edu or on Twitter @gabinelsonlove

×