The Video Game Odyssey: League of Opportunities

Riot Games is giving Summoners the chance to foster growing communities of gamers at their universities. Screenshot by Preston Sotelo

ASU Summoners rejoice! A momentous opportunity is before you. Riot Games recently announced a new collegiate program that would allow League of Legends (LoL) players to create League of Legends clubs at their respective universities. These clubs will have the opportunity to receive official swag from Riot in addition to becoming part of a network of college LoL clubs and local organizers. If you have an existing club, then all you need to do is register your group with Riot to get started.

Given the recent growth of E-Sports over the past few years and the soaring popularity of League of Legends across the world, this seems like a smart move for Riot to continue to expand and support their devoted community of players. In addition to being a great opportunity for players to meet up and have fun together, this program also serves as a chance for aspiring pro players to gather together in a more competitive environment to hone their skills.

Riot Games is giving Summoners the chance to foster growing communities of gamers at their universities. Screenshot by Preston Sotelo Riot Games is giving Summoners the chance to foster growing communities of gamers at their universities. Screenshot by Preston Sotelo

For those who don’t know, League of Legends is a free-to-play MOBA (Multi-player Online Battle Arena) game. Its action-oriented strategy and teamwork-based gameplay has captivated thousands of players across the world. Players take the role of powerful mages called Summoners who call forth mighty champions to battle in various arenas in an organization called the League of Legends.

The League’s champions are powerful and formidable figures who have come from every corner of the world, either to serve the interests of their nations or to further their own personal agendas. The champions run the gambit from ninjas and twisted mutants to sorcerers to mighty warriors. With over 100 characters to choose from, every LoL player can find one character that they really enjoy playing.

So if you are interested in helping represent ASU in the League community here is the link to the page on Riot’s website to help you get started.

I myself am an avid League of Legends player and I am looking forward to the chance to get together with other ASU LoL players in LAN parties as well as representing our university in future inter-collegiate competitions.

So then, a question to all the LoL players out there: Who are your favorite champions in League of Legends? Mine are Brand, Akali and Veigar.

What to get in touch and talk gaming? Contact the reporter at preston.sotelo@asu.edu or via Twitter at @p_sotelo

×