2AM Club talk tour life, future of band

(Photo courtesy of K.J Mark)
(Photo courtesy of K.J Mark)

(Photo courtesy of K.J Mark) (Photo courtesy of K.J Mark)

Los Angeles-based 2AM Club stopped in Scottsdale and talked about tour life, horror stories and what’s in the future.

The State Press: So, you all jumped on this tour in the middle of it. How did you get involved?

Tyler Cordy: Friends, I think. We’ve known Outasight for three years or so, and we played shows with Outasight for like four people in Providence, Rhode Island, and we’ve kind of had some solid, terrible memories together.

Marc Griffin: Terrible in the best way it could possibly be.

TC: Terrible in the way that you can look back on and enjoy thinking about. There’s this place, Club Hell, that’s aptly titled, in Providence, R.I., that we’ve played at like four times, and it’s never really been that great. I think our mission in our careers is to sell out Club Hell and have it be awesome.

SP: Do you have a crazy tour story?

MG: Sauce (the bass player) had to run in the middle of a song. We were playing a song called “Same Night Sky,” and I look over, and our bass player is just gone. And he had to run offstage because he had a bout with food poisoning. That’s like indicative of the shows at Club Hell, too. That’s kind of what goes down. And that same place, it was weird. There was all these bondage culture, S&M; people coming out and it was like cages. So, Club Hell is maybe the theme for this interview; so far it was a pretty crazy experience.

TC: I think we’re excited to get the level of craziness to the next level this year. I think, also, what we need to get better at is we keep wanting to do things late at night. We’ll be like, "We should just fly to Paris right now," and just make that type of s--t happen. This next year is about actually pulling the trigger on those ideas.

MG: It’s just hard to keep the positive energy going on those ideas. It starts at 100 percent, and everyone’s so excited. Me and Dave, one time we were staying in Arizona and we decided we were going to walk to Las Vegas. It was four in the morning and we were having a contest of just doing weird s--t like, "I dare you to throw your drink in my face," and we were climbing up light poles and just doing really dumb, drunk stuff that 13-year-old boys would do. And then we finally decided that we were going to walk to Las Vegas and we packed a little backpack with water and food and then we made it four blocks. We got to like a cul-de-sac, and that was enough.

SP: So, you all have been in the studio working and have even released a couple of new songs. Are you working on a new album?

MG: We actually just pretty much completed a new album this past year, and we’re all living in LA together, so we’ll have that album coming out this year, and then we also have a mixtape coming out probably around March 18.

SP: What inspires you guys when you’re writing music?

TC: I think happiness inspires me a lot of time, and I don’t write as well when I’m like "middle of the road." And sadness, but being the middle is whack, and I get inspired when it’s heavy sadness or heavy happiness.

MG: Yeah, actually I get inspired by just listening to classic s--t. I’ve been realizing that more and more. I listen to new music, and when it’s really good, I just get excited about the fact that there’s a small percentage of all this music that’s coming out. ... There’s a beacon of hope, so it makes me happy to be a part of the industry. But then when you listen to old music, which I haven’t been doing a lot lately, that really inspires me to write.

SP: What are your major goals for the future as a group?

MG: To tour extensively and just keep growing as songwriters together as much as possible. One thing we haven’t gotten to do yet is go overseas and play, which we would love to do so we’d definitely love to branch out and do that and just see our fan base expand and make as much as we can out of it.

Reach the reporter at okhiel@asu.edu

×