ASU water polo's Brightwell, Haas lead 2-game offensive onslaught

No. 3 ASU water polo jumped into the pool twice on Friday and defeated Colorado State and Pomona-Pitzer by a combined score of 32-10.

Seniors center Shannon Haas and attacker Alicia Brightwell led the way for the Sun Devils, scoring a collective 15 goals in the two games.

“It’s awesome. They did a great job,” coach Todd Clapper said. “Players did a good job of getting them the ball as well.”

Sun Devils dominate Rams

From the start of the game, the Sun Devils showed that they came ready to play.

Brightwell scored twice in the first 45 seconds, crushing any hopes for the Rams early.

The pair of goals set the tone for the game and the Sun Devils never looked back. They handily defeated CSU by a 17-7, a season-high goal total for ASU.

The first quarter ended with a 6-2 ASU lead. The rest of the game was more of the same from the Sun Devils.

Five more goals found the net in the second quarter alone. At the half, ASU held a commanding 11-2 lead. The 11 goals were the most in a half by the Sun Devils all season.

Haas led the Sun Devils’ scoring attack with four goals against the Rams.

Scoring contines vs. Pomona-Pitzer

ASU picked up right where it left off in Friday's second game.

The Sun Devils scored three goals in the first three minutes en route to a 15-3 victory over Pomona-Pitzer.

Much like CSU, ASU was able to control the pace of the game. A 5-0 Sun Devil lead after the first quarter turned into 10-3 halftime.

Haas and Brightwell continued to baffle opposing defense.

Haas added three goals in the Pomona-Pitzer game, giving her seven for the day. Brightwell added five which made her total for eight in the two games.

Brightwell’s MPSF-leading goal total now stands at 58

It was the sixth and seventh consecutive games that Brightwell scored at least three goals.

Haas’ two hat tricks were her fifth and sixth of the season.

Back to business

ASU took care of business against the non-MPSF teams on Friday, but No. 2 Stanford is waiting.

The Sun Devils meet the Cardinal in Tempe on Sunday. A win will presumably give ASU the No. 2 national ranking.

“We need to have a consistent, aggressive attack on offense,” Clapper said. “On defense we really have to do a good job of making sure we’re looking around and communicating so we’re not giving up easy opportunities.

“It’s what we were focusing on today and if we continue to do that on Sunday...we’re going to have success against Stanford.”

Reach the reporter at justin.emerson@asu.edu

×