Haas, Kertes propel No. 3 ASU water polo past No. 19 Hartwick

Sophomore attacker Anna Kertes reaches back to fire the ball with her right hand while treading water with her left against Hartwick on March 25. Kertes had a career high four goals in the win over Hartwick. (Photo by Dominic Valente) Sophomore attacker Anna Kertes reaches back to fire the ball with her right hand while treading water with her left against Hartwick on March 25. Kertes had a career high four goals in the win over Hartwick. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

Shannon Haas is playing in a world of her own.

After scoring 10 goals in the first three games of the weekend, the senior center turned in a four-goal performance on Monday.

Haas and sophomore attacker Anna Kertes led the No. 3 ASU water polo team to a 12-3 victory over No. 19 Hartwick (22-9).

The Sun Devils (19-5) finished the weekend at home with a record of 3-1.

Kertes recorded a season-high four goals Friday. Kertes and Haas combined for seven of ASU’s nine goals through the third quarter.

After struggling against Stanford on Sunday, the Sun Devil defense returned to form on Monday. Led by redshirt freshman goalie E.B. Keeve, ASU closed the weekend allowing only three goals to the Hawks, tied for its season low.

Keeve finished with 13 saves, adding to her MPSF-leading total.

Some bad luck hit Hartwick junior center Sami Capparelli during the game. She found herself in perfect position to score three times, only to see the ball go off the post all three times.

As luck normally does, it found a way to repay Capparelli. She finally missed the post and hit the net on a penalty shot late in the second quarter for the Hawks’ first goal of the afternoon. Capparelli added another goal in the opening seconds of the third quarter.

ASU appeared back to form in Monday’s contest, playing well in every facet of the game. Haas and Kertes led the scoring, while Keeve and the defensive unit was able to shut down the No. 19 team in the country.

ASU has next weekend off before traveling to Rhode Island to participate in the Brown Tournament beginning April 5. In the tournament, ASU will have a rematch against Hartwick on April 6.

Reach the reporter at justin.emerson@asu.edu

×