Tech Spec: Going Full Google

Google has so many services available, can I function in life with just these? Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

Google, as a company, is freaking huge. It does everything from developing software, maintaining a highly popular search engine to creating services like Google Fiber, which is a home service that offers ultra-high-speed Internet and television. Many jokingly say that Google is taking over the world; although that is not the case (yet), it has so many different uses available that one could live off of just what Google has to offer. I (involuntarily) tested this theory last week.

Since I love to tinker with my phone, I take the risk that I might “brick” my phone. The term “to brick” means just as it implies; your phone stops functioning and becomes as helpful as a brick. Anyway, I bricked my phone, and since I needed to stay connected with everyone, I took to my laptop for Google’s assistance. Since I knew my way around, I first forwarded my phone calls to Google Voice (Google’s phone service offered online). Next, I used Google Chrome to pull up all of my Gmail accounts, my Google Calendar and my music library on Google Play Music. When I wrote documents throughout the day, I opened up Google Drive. The only exception to the Google rule that day was the use of Facebook. In summation, all of my life was being run by Google services, on Google Chrome for 24 hours.

Google has so many services available, can I function in life with just these? Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey Google has so many services available, can I function in life with just these? Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

Although it was sort of forced upon me, living on just Google for a day was actually very simple. Since everything was saved on the cloud and connected to my main Gmail account, switching from my personal computer to a school computer was as simple as another log in. In my day, I had to do research, write an assignment, send emails and communicate with my coworkers; Google’s vast library of resources offered methods to accomplish every task of mine.

The next day I had a replacement phone and was back to my normal life. But the moral of this story is that Google has the possibility of completely balancing one’s life. The search engine giant certainly has the possibility of taking over your life, but only if you entered in willingly. See you guys on the Google side of life!

If you have any thoughts on Google’s long reaching arm, email me at cejeffre@asu.edu or message me on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey. Happy Googling!!

×