'The Croods' provides stunning animation, heartwarming characters

(Photo Courtesy of alliedim)
(Photo Courtesy of alliedim)

(Photo Courtesy of alliedim) (Photo Courtesy of alliedim)

Pitchforks 4/5

Released: March 22

Rated: PG

There is something wonderful about “The Croods.” The movie takes the typical dysfunctional family setup and does something refreshing.

What sets this film apart from other zany family-oriented narratives like “The Incredibles” and “Meet the Robinsons” is the suspense and dynamics.

“The Croods,” at its core, is a story about survival. The film follows a girl named Eep (voiced by Emma Stone) and her cavemen family as they venture off into the wilderness after a catastrophic event destroys their home. Danger is at every turn, and death is lurking — even the plants are a threat to them. The film plays with audience’s heartstrings as it becomes apparent that one of them might not make it.

The movie also sets up great dynamics between the characters. An intellectual teenage boy named Guy (voiced by Ryan Reynolds) is thrown into the mix, which causes friction between him and the dad, Grug (voiced by Nicolas Cage). Guy uses his head instead of his fists to solve the family’s problems, which causes Grug to lose his dominate role as provider and protector. Grug is angered with this and tries to prove himself as the alpha male.

Then Eep develops feelings for Guy. This is the first time she’s met another human besides her family members. When Eep is first attracted to Guy, it’s hilarious how she acts around him. But, when Guy finally starts falling for her, their attraction becomes rather sweet.

Out of the all the relationships in the movie, the one that stands out most is the father-daughter dynamic. At first Grug and Eep seem like polar opposites. The father has a conservative mindset, believing that the only way to live is literally under a rock. The daughter desires to spread her wings and leave her oppressive world. As the movie unfolds, it becomes more noticeable that the two are actually alike.

“The Croods” is a visually appealing film, especially in 3-D. The Stone Age provides the perfect locale, providing engrossing and stunning visuals. The world is of a grandiose scale. The places are colorful, vibrant and imaginative. The different pre-historic animals in the film are clever and inventive.

“The Croods” delivers; it’s a great animated movie that is both funny and heartfelt. To be fair, the movie isn’t as hilarious as “Kung Fu Panda” or as stirring as “How to Train Your Dragon,” but “The Croods” is still prime entertainment.

Reach the reporter at tverti@asu.edu

×