3.21_J.T

Pitchforks: 4.5/5

Released: March 19

Justin Timberlake is back and he brought sexy with him.

After a seven-year hiatus from the music industry, Timberlake released his newest album “The 20/20 Experience” on March 19.

It’s hard to believe, but this is only his third studio album after 2002’s “Justified,” featuring hit songs “Cry Me A River” and “Rock Your Body,” and his last album, “FutureSex/LoveSounds,” in 2006.

Timberlake took these last seven years to focus on acting and entertaining the world with his hosting gigs on “Saturday Night Live.”

News of this album broke when Timberlake himself posted a YouTube video, which showed him walking into a studio with a voice over explaining his absence from music. He says he isn’t interested in releasing something he doesn’t love. The video closes with him saying “I’m ready” and a countdown appearing with the date of Jan. 14, 2013.

The significance of that date is when his first single from “20/20” was released, “Suit & Tie.” Now to all of those naysayers out there who don’t really care for the song, bear with it, it will grow on you.

It starts with a very long hook that seems to be redundant, but like most songs, the more you listen to it, the better it is.

Plus the black and white music video directed by David Fincher definitely helps. (JT previously worked with Fincher in “The Social Network.")

Timberlake then released his second single “Mirrors” on February 11. This might be the best track on his 10-song album.

Timberlake hosted “SNL” for his fifth time on March 9, when he performed these two songs. He then followed up by helping longtime friend Jimmy Fallon on his late night talk show with "Justin Timberweek.”

Each night Timberlake performed a new song from his album with the conclusion of a mini-concert on Friday of some of his favorite songs from previous albums.

He definitely didn’t stray too far away from his movie career, considering the majority of his songs seem to have to do with aspects of a movie.

In the song “Tunnel Vision” he comes off as a rom-com director singing, “Just like a movie shoot, I’m zooming in on you.” Or, in “Spaceship Coupe,” referencing aliens making love on the moon, as if it's a science-fiction flick.

But regardless of his new cinematic musical turn, JT is back and just as good as before. The songs are longer and slower, but he makes them work.

Only two tracks are shorter than six minutes in duration, but with 10 songs, that’s fairly common.

Don’t fret though, you will not have to wait another seven years for more JT. The Roots’s drummer, ?uestlove (pronounced "Questlove"), previously announced that this album is only part one. Timberlake confirmed it, so expect “The 20/20 Experience Part 2” to be released sometime in November 2013.

After listening to the album around eight times through, (it was streaming on iTunes for a week) it’s safe to say his best two songs are “Mirrors” and “Pusher Love Girl,” which gives you a taste of the Timberlake everyone loves. If you're looking for a new-era, older Timberlake song, listen to "Let the Groove Get In." It sounds a bit like Michael Jackson.

So give it a listen and post your favorites in the comments.

Reach the reporter at dillon.rosenblatt@asu.edu

×