Devil Dish: Prayers to victims of Boston Marathon bombing

The Boston Bruins are fourth in the Eastern Conference and a point behind the Montreal Canadiens in the Northeast Division.

The Boston Celtics look to gain momentum with two games left to prepare for the playoffs.

None of that mattered Monday.

Even with two weeks left in the NHL regular season, it was a no-brainer for the NHL to cancel the Boston Bruins home game Monday due to the horrific attack during the Boston Marathon.

The NBA announced that evening the Celtics’ home-finale on Tuesday would be canceled as well. It gave the city more resources to treat the victims and investigate the attack rather than police to attend a few sporting events.

My prayers go out to those that lost a loved one, to those injured by the bombings and to those behind this heinous act. The person, or people, needs prayers just as much as the rest of us. It’s not acceptable in the most extreme uncivilized setting.

The sports world has always been an escape from the real world.

When the two collide in a tragic way, like it did Monday, it’s a reminder how little box scores matter.

We like to base our happiness upon the results of a certain sports team. But keep the big picture in mind the next time a team’s season doesn’t end with a title.

Reach the columnist at mtesfats@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @MasterTes

×