Krawczyk injury hurts No. 22 ASU tennis in loss to No. 9 UCLA

Senior Hannah James braces for a shot from a UCLA opponent on April 6. James and the ASU tennis team were shut out by USC on April 5.

Senior Hannah James braces for a shot from a UCLA opponent on April 6. James and the ASU tennis team were shut out by USC on April 5. Senior Hannah James braces for a shot from a UCLA opponent on April 6. James and the ASU tennis team were shut out by USC on April 5.

The ASU tennis team's MO all season has been to win the doubles point and cruise from there.

No. 22 ASU did that on Saturday, but it wasn’t enough to stop Pac-12 rival No. 9 UCLA. The Bruins won the meet 5-2.

With freshman Desirae Krawczyk a late scratch due to right leg soreness, ASU was forced to forfeit one singles match.

The meet was tied 1-1 going into five singles matches.

The free point would come back to hurt the Sun Devils in more ways than one.

Krawczyk ordinarily plays No. 2 on singles, so her scratch bumped everyone up one spot. Had Krawczyk been healthy and played, everyone (except No. 1) would have had different opponents and the outcome could have been very different.

"It happens to teams but it's unfortunate that it happened when it did," said coach Sheila McInerney. "We were healthy as horses all year. It certainly hurts you a little bit psychologically."

McInerney also cited the injury of freshman Stephanie Vlad, who was scratched early last week

All of ASU’s players outside of their normal position lost.

While senior Jacqueline Cako was able to come out on top in her singles match, she was the only victorious Sun Devil. She was also the only one playing in her normal position.

Cako’s victory came over sophomore Robin Anderson, the No. 3 player in the country. Entering the weekend at No. 23, Cako’s position will presumably improve.

"These are the matches that you live for," Cako said. "For most of the match, you feel like you can't miss a ball."

Cako said she knew that Anderson was ranked highly, but did not know how high.

"Number three? That's awesome for me," she said with a laugh.i

No match went to three sets.

After finishing the weekend 0-2, ASU returns to Tempe next weekend for more Pac-12 action, this time against Cal and Stanford.

Results

Doubles

1. No. 40 Jacqueline Cako/Nicole Smith (ASU) def. Kyle McPhillips/Skylar Morton (UCLA) 8-4
  2. Robin Anderson/Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Ebony Panoho/Joana Smith (ASU) 8-6
  3. Leighann Sahagun/Hannah James (ASU) def. Catherine Harrison/Pamela Montez (UCLA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3

Singles

1. No. 23 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. No. 3 Robin Anderson (UCLA) 6-2, 6-3
  2. No. 67 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) 6-3, 7-5
  3. No. 91 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Hannah James (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
  4. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Joana Smith (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
  5. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Ebony Panoho (ASU) 6-0, 6-4
  6. Skylar Morton (UCLA) win by injury
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 3, 4, 2

Reach the reporter at justin.emerson@asu.edu

×