[caption id="attachment_114754" align="aligncenter" width="610"]The Summer Set performs at  [name of venue]. Photo by Noemi Gonzalez The Summer Set performs at the Clubhouse in Tempe.
Photo by Noemi Gonzalez[/caption]

crescent

LOST

914 N 5th St.

Phoenix, 85004

True to its name, you almost have to find yourself lost in downtown Phoenix to happen upon this venue without the assistance of word of mouth. Lost Leaf serves as a local's getaway from the ruckus of the sprawling city. It's a wine and beer venue, so unfortunately for the young ones, no one's getting in unless 21 or over. The place offers free live music seven days a week, all across the musical spectrum. Monday nights are jazz nights, so couple that with a glass of wine or craft brew, and it's pretty much the perfect spot for a first date. Lost Leaf always gets it right with some of the best in local Phoenix music as well as touring artists. (Seriously, dude, Kevin Seconds of 7 Seconds rolled through here for an intimate acoustic set a couple of weeks ago, and it was kind of surreal.

HOUSE

Okay, so this isn't really a venue per se, but sometimes nothing gets adrenaline pumping harder after that excruciating bio-chem final Thursday afternoon than sweating and getting knocked around someone else's tiny living room or backyard. To start, check out both Tempe Starving Artists (TSA) and The Underground Foundation (TUF). The shows they throw are way fun, and they're usually only around $5.

MARQ

730 N Mill Ave

Tempe, 85281

The Marquee Theater, as it is now, has been around for more than a decade. Owned by Lucky Man Concerts, this venue plays host to a myriad of great artists and genres. Located mere minutes from the Tempe campus, it's all-ages, with a bar for those with proper identification. The stage designs are always creative. Sometimes they throw out glitter confetti and that, couple with the awesome lighting, makes for a really beautiful and euphoric addition to the show. The sound at this venue is great, and the slope of the floor from the back toward the stage ensures that no one is left unable to see.

TRUNK

1506 Gran Ave

Phoenix, 85007

It really sucks to be a music lovin' underager. That's why all-ages venues should be so appreciated, especially ones like Trunk Show, which keep door prices low enough that the younger crowds can afford them. Five to ten bucks afford some of the raddest, often underground locals and touring acts in the Metro area. They serve not only as a venue, but also as a gallery, smack dab in the heart of Grand Avenue arts district. Check out Treasure Mammal here sometime. They dance and dress in costume and it's always entertaining. They covered "My Heart Will Go On" recently, and it turned into a sing-a-long. What? Don't even lie, we ALL know those lyrics, right?

long

Reach the writer at kmmandev@asu.edu or via Twitter @Kaharli

×