The Video Game Odyssey: Project X Zone is coming to America!

“Project X Zone promises to provide gamers with some fantastic, flashy battles with some of your favorite characters. After all, who doesn’t want to see these heroes team up to save the world?” Photo courtesy Google Images

3DS owners rejoice! The strategy RPG Project X Zone has been scheduled for release on June 25, 2013 according to both a report by IGN and its official site. Pronounced “Project Cross Zone,” The game is one of the most promising looking projects that Nintendo has on its way for American gamers, with over 200 iconic characters taken from three major Japanese publishers: Namco, Sega and Capcom.

“Project X Zone promises to provide gamers with some fantastic, flashy battles with some of your favorite characters. After all, who doesn’t want to see these heroes team up to save the world?” Photo courtesy Google Images “Project X Zone promises to provide gamers with some fantastic, flashy battles with some of your favorite characters. After all, who doesn’t want to see these heroes team up to save the world?” Photo courtesy Google Images

According to Namco’s website, the game’s story is that an ancient artifact known as the “Portalstone” has been stolen, causing a rift in space-time. As a result, various universes as well the past and present are being brought together and the heroes will team up to restore the world to normal.

But enough about the story, what about the gameplay? A strategy RPG with all of your favorite Capcom, Namco and Sega characters you say? How will that pan out? Well, the gameplay combines the strategy of a game like Fire Emblem, providing characters with a grid that they will position themselves along. However, when combat is initiated, the game shifts into action-RPG mode. Players will be able to use the Directional Pad, the Circle Pad and the ABXY buttons to perform a number of combo attacks on enemies. If you are skilled enough, you can keep air-juggling an enemy under a string of successful combos until they die, ensuring that you never have to take damage from fights. In addition to the two main characters who will be operating together, there will apparently also be the option to assign a third character to jump in and perform support attacks. When certain characters are paired together for support it unlocks an even flashier, powerful attack called a “Cross Hit.”

Now crossover titles such as these are nothing new, there have been a number of them made in the past. Fighting games are especially famous for doing crossover titles, such as Marvel vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Street Fighter X Tekken. Some of those games, like Jump Ultimate Stars for the Nintendo DS, don’t even make it over to Western shores, so it’s good to see that we’ll be able to enjoy this upcoming title.

So then 3DS gamers, will you be picking up a copy of Project X Zone come June 25? I know I will.

Until then, enjoy this English-subbed trailer for the game.

What to get in touch and talk gaming? Contact the reporter at preston.sotelo@asu.edu or via Twitter at @p_sotelo

×