Tempe Police: Woman found dead in her apartment

Tempe Police are investigating the apparent homicide of a woman in her early 20s. She was found dead in her apartment on the 900 block of East Lemon Street near the Tempe campus on Tuesday morning, according to police.

Police entered the locked apartment and found that the woman appeared to have suffered severe trauma before she died, Tempe Police Sgt. Michael Pooley said.

The woman’s boyfriend went to the Tempe Police substation on Apache Boulevard to report the incident at about 10:30 a.m., according to police.

The man, who is in his early 20s, was distraught when he told police where her apartment was and said that he was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, police reported.

Police and the Tempe Fire Department initially treated the scene as a hazardous materials situation but did not detect any carbon monoxide in the air of the apartment, Pooley said.

The man was transported to a hospital, where he is being treated and is in police custody, Pooley said.

Update:

According to police, preliminary evidence from detectives indicates that the woman was a 19-year-old ASU student.

Medical examiners are still working to determine the woman's identity, according to police.

"We’re pretty sure who it is, but without going into too much detail, we have to wait to hear form the medical examiner’s office," Pooley said.

Police have arrested and charged the man on suspicion of murder, Pooley said.

Police will release the identity and photo of the man later Tuesday night.

Update:

According to police, 22-year-old Luis Soltero was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of murder.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ShawnFVRaymundo

×