Graphic by Thania Betancourt Graphic by Thania Betancourt

It’s a hobby that has swept the youth of the nation. A worldwide phenomenon that takes those $20 dollars in your pocket, and transforms it in to a wardrobe that would make even your granddad jealous. Thrifting is a word the dictionary may not be able to define yet, but a song can.

After Macklemore’s 2012 release of his record breaking Billboard Top 100 track that hit more than 400 million YouTube views, “Thrift Shop” became the thrifting anthem. The song illustrated just what it meant to dress like an individual through recycled clothing. I caught up with some ASU students and staff who have brought this illustration of cheap shopping to life, as their only way of staying clothed and trendy.

The Art of Thrifting

From the hats, to the Hawaiian button up shirts, to the gadgets and gismos of Goodwill, journalism freshman, Trever Migliorino, has the mindset of a thrifter down to an art.

I like to think of it as, the items choose me, I don’t get to choose the items,” Migliorino says. “I’m going there to see what I can find, and when I get there, I’ll find what I want.”

Patience is the game, and that long leopard mink is the prize.

Nursing freshman Yana Shoniya describes her style as “professional” yet “Earthy” and she finds her look easy to create when spending less.

“It keeps me on a budget and at the same time, its just fun to find something new,” she says.

Shoniya loves the trending crop tops, tulle bottom dresses, and flower motif headbands she says.

“I’ve come to find that if you go thrift shopping you don’t always find what you would see in a regular store and there’re more to pick from,” she says.

Goodwill provides certain days of the week to shoppers that put discounted rates on already marked down items, such as Dollar Thursday and Half- Priced Saturday.

Journalism freshman Emily Berkin says she believes that these mark down days have a part in the “90’s grunge” and edgy trend of clothing that has resurrected.

“Edgy is a sign of rebellion, but its not that obnoxious rebellion. Its that silent, we’re making a statement,” Berkin says. “We’re becoming more of an individual and turning into our own person, and our clothing is what shows that.”

Her thoughts only assert the message of what Mack’s track conveys.

“One Man’s Trash, That’s Another Man’s Come Up”

Thrift shopping is akin to modern day treasure hunting. For Migliorino, finding vintage clothing and antique keepsakes has never been so invigorating.

“This is one of my favorite stories, I actually got a full-on suit and slacks, a tie, as well as a dress shirt, all for $30 and it’s probably a $150 suit. To this day I love telling people that.”

Migliorino is the prime example of looking incredible in his “granddads clothes.”

“It fits perfectly, though I had it dry cleaned and washed many, many times,” he adds. “Saving the money is the key to looking good.”

He says he finds it more efficient to purchase an item when it’s out of season, that way when that season comes around, he is ahead of the game.

“I’ll be like, “I’m wearing this,” and they’ll be like, “Oh, where’d you get that?” and I’ll be like, “Oh, I got it at Goodwill four months ago,” Migliorino says.

The Song, The Legend

Assistant to the Dean at the Walter Cronkite School, Tania Mendes believes that the song was a game changer for thrifters.

“I think for some people the idea of thrift shopping, if not accustomed to it, could be intimidating, [but] that song made it socially acceptable,” Mendes says. “It made it cool, especially coming from the East Coast, where it had a negative connotation. It was made more mainstream.”

Engineering freshman, Ilianna Chavez, thinks the song speaks more to teens.

“I think the song appealed more to the younger generation, like junior high students,” Chavez says. “The older college kids already have their style made.”

Whether your individual style is set or not, thrifting is always an option. For those not a fan of wearing hand-me-downs, most thrift stores take donations of worn clothing, as long as it is in good condition.Since trends come and go, it is proven that yesterday’s trash is today’s trend.

“I encourage everybody to go to find different shops, each store has its own personality,” Mendes adds.

Reach the writer at brianna.randazzo@asu.edu or on Twitter @Bri_Randazzo.

×