Road closures limit game day access to Sun Devil Stadium

ASU Game Logistics
Light rail as it goes by Sun Devil Stadium.

A view of Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. According to the city of Tempe, certain streets will only be blocked off five hours before the game, while others will be closed two hours before the game and also from the third quarter to one hour after the game. (Photo by Kyle Burton) A view of Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. According to the city of Tempe, certain streets will only be blocked off five hours before the game, while others will be closed two hours before the game and also from the third quarter to one hour after the game. (Photo by Kyle Burton)

Students should anticipate traffic delays and road closures for Thursday's inaugural football game against Sacramento State.

Roads will be blocked off, limiting traffic flow to and from Sun Devil Stadium starting five hours before the game and ending one hour after the game. Sue Taaffe, spokeswoman for the Transportation Division and Fire Department for the city of Tempe, said students are encouraged to take the light rail to the game if they do not live near or around campus. Intercampus shuttles will also be running Thursday night. In addition, students can choose to use the park-and-ride light rail service at Dorsey and Apache, McClintock and Apache and Price and Apache.

Criminology and criminal justice sophomore Rachel McKay said students should take the light rail, because it is easier to get to the game than driving a car.

"The traffic is very busy, but taking the light rail is super easy and convenient," she said. "You don't have to worry about all the car traffic that way." Maggie Emmons, ASU's assistant sports information director, said in an email that students who drive to the game should be aware that westbound traffic will not be allowed on Rio Salado Parkway from McClintock Drive to Rural Road five hours before the start of the game, no left-hand turns going south on Mill Avenue will be permitted two hours before the start of the game and there will no longer be any parking allowed in lot 59, north of Rio Salado Parkway.

Emmons also said live traffic and parking updates can be found by following the hashtag #parkASU on Twitter.

"If people want real-time information, that is a good avenue to follow," she said. Sun Devil Athletics made a parking structure diagram for students who wish to park at the stadium. The department has also listed its tailgating policy, traffic and parking maps and Thursday night game information. According to the city of Tempe, certain streets will only be blocked off five hours before the game, while others will be closed two hours before the game and also from the third quarter to one hour after the game.

"Although the restrictions and closures are listed online, others could be put in place to address public safety concerns that arise during the event," Taaffe said. "All restrictions/closures are based on preliminary assessments and can be increased or decreased in scope without notice."

For students venturing from Tempe neighborhoods, the free Orbit service, which connects residential areas to local Tempe destinations via small bus, will be extended until midnight.

Reach the reporter at savannah.harrelson@gmail.com or follow her on Twitter @savannahleeh

×