Police: Man found with defaced handgun

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 32-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Oct. 13 at South 55th Street and West Broadway Road on suspicion of possession of a weapon by a prohibited person and possession of a defaced deadly weapon, according to a police report.

An officer pulled the man over after he was seen swerving in his lane while driving on Broadway Road, the report said.

A background check during the traffic stop showed the man’s driving privileges had been suspended and that he had three previous felony convictions, police reported.

The officer reported finding a semi-automatic handgun in an open backpack behind the driver's seat while searching the car.

Officers also discovered the serial number on the gun had been defaced, according to the officer.

The man was cited for driving on a suspended license and booked into Tempe City Jail pending the weapon charges, the report said.

A 19-year-old Huntington Beach, Calif., man was arrested Oct. 13 on the 700 block of East Vista Del Cerro Drive on suspicion of criminal trespassing and consuming alcohol as a minor, according to a police report.

Around 5 a.m., the home's owners found the man inside their living room and called police, the report said.

One of the residents detained the man until police arrived, according to police.

Officers reported the man was intoxicated during the trespassing and he had a distinct odor of alcohol, bloodshot eyes, a belligerent nature and slurred speech.

The homeowners told police they did not know the man and that he did not have permission to be inside their house, police reported.

He was booked and held at Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Mark Remillard.

Reach the reporter at mark.remillard@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @markjremillard

×