Week of October 8 | Tree Mapping

Produced by: Courtland Jeffrey Reporter: Riis Valcho Editors: Courtland Jeffrey, Daniel Santa Cruz Videographer: Daniel Santa Cruz Executive Editor: Erin O'Connor

A collaborative effort on the benefits of trees is being quantified and mapped by the Arboretum at ASU, to help the University better understand exactly how much value they bring to people, the environment and financial estimates.

The Arboretum Tree Mapping Project originated from Facility Maintenance Grounds Services staff who saw the need to record all of the trees on campus for calculating sustainability measurements like carbon dioxide reduction, energy conservation, and an official economic price tag to the University's trees. The project also seeks to keep the beauty and history of the campus' plant life growing for future students and the public who visit Arizona's largest and free arboretum.

Along with ASU's Facility Maintenance staff, the School of Geographical Sciences & Urban Planning, Masters GIS Program, Institute for Social Science Research, and the Office of the University Architects are all participating in the task of verifying that every tree is mapped, documented, and accounted for on campus grounds.

×