ASU cross-country teams just miss NCAA bid, season over

Junior Shelby Houlihan, freshman Miranda Kewley and junior Payton Schutte start to run sprints on the Joe Selleh Track. The ASU cross-country team finished just short of the qualifications for the NCAA Championship for the fourth year in a row. (Photo by Katie Dunphy)

Junior Shelby Houlihan, freshman Miranda Kewley and junior Payton Schutte start to run sprints on the Joe Selleh Track. The ASU cross-country team finished just short of the qualifications for the NCAA Championship for the fourth year in a row. (Photo by Katie Dunphy) Junior Shelby Houlihan, freshman Miranda Kewley and junior Payton Schutte start to run sprints on the Joe Selleh Track. The ASU cross-country team finished just short of the qualifications for the NCAA Championship for the fourth year in a row. (Photo by Katie Dunphy)

Women’s:

The women’s cross-country team failed to make the NCAA Championships this past weekend after finishing in sixth place at the NCAA West Regional Championships.

The team didn’t get the automatic bid but had hoped to sneak in with an at-large bid based on points they had earned during the season. On Sunday when the teams were announced, ASU was left off the list.

The team had solid performances throughout the season but fell short of qualifying with the combined points.

Coach Ryan Cole said the team lacked experience but was confident it could qualify for the tournament.

“We felt we were a pretty strong team if we’re firing on all cylinders with the girls we have," Cole said. "We’re not extremely deep as far as our talent and our roster goes, but when people are running the way they’re capable of on our team, I think we’re a really good team."

Cole said inexperience was a challenge this year, but the experienced gained by the younger girls will help next season.

“We really don’t have a ton of experience on our team, so I think that bodes well for our future,” Cole said. “They’ve progressed, they have been doing it, and I think it’s a special group. I just think they need more time to gain fitness and experience.”

Junior Shelby Houlihan had another strong season for ASU, as she was able to earn an invitation to the NCAA Championships from the Western Region.

Houlihan anchored the women’s team this season keeping the team alive with her performance and leadership.

“It’s a very talented team. They’re determined to be good, and they love running,” Cole said. “I think this year was a continual step forward in that process (for the championships) for us.”

Men’s:

For the fourth straight year, the ASU men’s cross-country team fell short of the NCAA Championship.

Qualifying for the NCAA Championship in cross-country is one of the toughest challenges in any sport.

Only 18 teams automatically qualify and only 13 more get in based on teams they’ve beat and points accumulated during the season.

The ASU men’s cross-country team fell short of the 31st spot for the fourth year in a row after finishing fifth overall at the NCAA West Regional Championships.

With high expectations headed into this season the team failed to make a big enough push at Regionals to get over the hump.

Freshman Bernie Montoya was the team’s big offseason addition, and many hoped he would help the team get into the championships this year.

Montoya fared well individually as he adjusted from high school to his first collegiate season, but the team as a whole could not get past some of the more talented teams in the West region.

Montoya took home All-Region honors for his performance at the team’s last meet of the season, finishing 20th overall.

With the team losing most of its upperclassmen next season and now that the freshmen have a full season under their belts, the future looks bright for the Sun Devils.

Next season, Montoya will be expected to improve upon what he started as the team looks to break into the NCAA championships for the first time in five seasons.

Reach the reporter at lzazueta@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @lorenzozazueta

×