Tempe Police: Man refuses to leave store, give police identification

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 23-year-old man was arrested Nov. 5 on the 100 block of West University Drive on suspicion of criminal trespassing, resisting arrest, interfering with police and obstruction, according to a police report.

Police were called after the man refused to leave a business even though he was told by a clerk multiple times, the report said.

Police told the man he was trespassing, and he refused to identify himself to officers, according to police.

Police again told him he was trespassing and needed to identify himself, but he still refused and said if they put hands on him he would resist and file assault charges, police said.

When officers tried to arrest the man for trespassing and refusing to identify himself, he brought his arms up to his chest and tried to resist being placed into handcuffs, the report said.

Once he was under arrest, he immediately identified himself and gave officers his driver’s license number and date of birth, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked, according to the report.

A 37-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Nov. 1 on the 80 block of West Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of a sex offender registration violation, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man at the Tempe Beach Park, the report said.

According to the report, the man failed to comply with an Arizona statute that requires him to carry a valid non-operating identification.

The man was taken to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, the report said.

A 29-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 2 on the 1900 block of East University Drive on suspicion of burglary and trafficking stolen property, according to a police report.

An investigation revealed the man had removed approximately 20 water heaters from a unit at the AA Bargain Mini Storage, the report said.

The report said the water heaters were stolen between Oct. 11 and Oct. 18. They were discovered missing once surveillance video was reviewed at the storage facility, according to the report.

Police said the man’s mother manages the facility and recognized him on the video.

The man’s mother gave police his phone number, and when police searched the number online, it revealed three ads for water heaters placed on Craigslist, police reported.

The man was arrested and taken to Tempe City Jail, the report said.

Reports compiled by Mark Remillard.

Reach the reporter at mark.remillard@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @markjremillard

×