The Arizona Department of Public Safety uncovered Thursday thousands of Ecstasy pills inside an apartment at Vista del Sol near the Tempe campus and arrested an ASU student who lived there, said DPS spokesman Bart Graves.

The student, Andrew James Gajkowski, was pulled over by a highway patrol car after he was seen driving in the High-Occupancy Vehicle lane during rush hour on Wednesday, Graves said.

“The officer was suspicious about the vehicle,” he said. “He searched it and found a backpack with Ecstasy pills, which then began the broader investigation.”

Detectives obtained two warrants, one for Gajkowski’s family home in Goodyear and the other for his apartment in Tempe, Graves said.

At approximately 1 a.m. on Thursday, investigators raided the Vista del Sol apartment.

“We found thousand of Ecstasy pills,” he said. “It’s pretty much a pill factory.”

Investigators found a pill press and more than 30 pounds of material to make the pills inside the apartment, Graves said.

Five others have been arrested, and three of them are also ASU students, Graves said.

Reach the reporter at dpbaltaz@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @dpalomabp

×